Chapter 25

Rossary

"Alright, let's move out" Glenn announced. He hopped into the driver seat of the truck and slammed the door shut, his fingers tapping the door in a rhythmic pattern. It seemed he was anxious to get home before we'd even left.

Behind me, Daryl whistled. I turned, a brow raised. "You comin'?" he asked.

I smiled and pulled my pack over my leather jacket. The motorcycle roared to life as I hopped on and wrapped my arms around Daryl's torso. He was in a long sleeve shirt today, his leather jacket over it. It was odd seeing him with sleeves on...

Suddenly he spun the bike around, and I couldn't stop myself from yelling. I wasn't nearly as squeamish on the motorcycle as I used to be, but sometimes Daryl liked to push my boundaries just enough for my heart to give out.

He chuckled.

"How dare you." I said as loud as I could.

Daryl laughed louder now, his shoulders shaking as he tried to hold it in.

We slowed to a stop as the prison gates opened for someone outside. The sound of hooves hitting the ground grew louder as Daryl shut the bike off and rested his feet on the ground. Michonne slowed to a stop near us, a happy smile on her face as she jumped off the large animal and onto solid ground.

"Well, look who's back." Daryl said.

Michonne turned to us, a frown on her face. "Didn't find him." she said grimly. I sighed. It had been six months and no one had so much as caught a whiff of the Governor.

However, we were alive, and he was gone. That's all that really mattered.

Besides, Michonne and I somehow always ended up outside the gates at opposite times. It would be nice to be able to see her for more than a few minutes at a time. I was really getting sick of five-minute conversations.

"I'm glad to see you're in one piece." I told her, a small, reassuring smile on my face.

Michonne smirked before pulling something out of her pack. "I got you this." She pulled out a book and showed it to me. I had never heard of it, but Michonne knows what I liked to read.

"Thank you." I said..

Daryl scowled down at the novel. "Great, more books to fill the garage."

"Shut up Daryl." Michonne and I both said. Michonne high fived me, smirking.

"I'm thinking of looking near Macon." Michonne said. Rick shifted on his feet. "It's worth a shot." she said.

"Seventy miles of walkers. You might run into a few unneighborly types. Is it?" I asked. Michonne frowned.

Before anything else could be said about the governor, Daryl spoke.

"I'm gonna go check out The Big Spot. The one I was talking about, just seein'."

Rick nodded. "Yeah, I got to go out and check the snares. I don't wanna lose whatever we catch to the walkers."

"I'll go." Michonne offered, looking at me.

I frowned. "You don't need to, we have plenty of people." Liar.

Daryl nodded, seeming to understand where I was going with this. "Stay here, rest."

Michonne, although looking like she would argue, let out a tired sigh and nodded.

...

Daryl

I parked my bike a little ways away from the chain link fence. Rossary jumped off first and played with the straps on her pack. She handed me my crossbow when I got off before walking to the fence, her knife already in her hand.