Four. Pushing The Limits

In this book, I'm going to ignore Ale's ACL because I don't think it'll going well in the story... This is set in 2022.

Since the argument between the two midfielders, their coach had decided to bench the both of them at the Levante game—instead opting for Aitana and Vicky, where their connection was not as easily distinguished.

Ingrid sat close to her newfound friend, without touching her after learning that Veronica didn't see herself as a touchy person, instead sharing a comforting smile to the woman every now and then.

Veronica didn't ignore how Alexia scoffed at the events of the day, sitting at the end of the bench where she was quickly followed by Jana and Bruna—the younger girls instantly comforting their captain, who was too stubborn to listen.

"Do you think you'll play?" Ingrid quietly asked, eyeing Jona who stood off to the side—his nervousness given away by the biting of his lips and fingers clenching into a fist.

Veronica was never cocky but apart of her had hoped she would play instead of Alexia, just for the opportunity to see the look on her captain's face, when she's picked over her.

"Hopefully."

And when the next half of the game had begun, her hopes had been met when Jona called out the Spaniard's name eliciting a certain captain to sit straight in her chair, narrowing her eyes as she followed Veronica's movement from the bench towards their coach.

She could feel a stare burning into the side of her face, as the lines woman held up a sign signalling her number 13 to replace Vicky, clapping hands with the younger girl.

"You can do this, V. I believe in you." Jona had leaned into her side, sharing a gentle smile causing the woman to nod encouragingly.

Inhaling deeply, Veronica stepped foot onto the pitch hearing the cheers of the crowd at the sight of the ex-PSG player, whose reputation shone alongside her name.

Quickly the second half played on, starting with two more goals from her teammates—but the brunette stayed back from celebrating, still feeling an awkwardness around the women whom she hadn't connected to like Mapi and Ingrid.

Until, Veronica had seen an opening through the defence and yelled out for Aitana, which the small woman reciprocated instantly and slid the ball past the defender's feet and landing at the midfielder's.

She didn't have to look forward after hearing the cheers from the stadium, running to the corner as she smiled into a camera—Veronica felt arms of her teammates wrap around her, and grimaced at the slight contact, before shaking that feeling away.

"Your first game, superstar." Mapi yelled into her ear amongst the noise, and shook her friend's body from side to side.

As soon as the happiness came, the whistle had blown as the score ended 5-1 to Barcelona—as Veronica stepped off of the pitch, Jona was there to shake hands with a large smile, one that she reciprocated.

"Do that every game and you'll be on your way to a Ballon D'Or," The coach commented, taking into account the way that the players' eyes widened at the compliment, "Well done, Veronica."

She was all too aware of the headlines speaking of Alexia Putellas' chances to win the Ballon D'Or that year, which made the smug feeling grow as she knew that the captain had heard the comment from Jona—which explained the large frown across her lips.

The two midfielders stood across from one another, staring at each other—Veronica found it hard to break away after she noticed the diluted look in the captain's eyes. Alexia was about to step forward when...