Augustus watched us curiously before continuing the conversation. "What else do you believe?"

"They should be able to choose their jobs." I continued. "Not be forced to do something that they don't like."

He shook his head. "Jobs are based on a human's capabilities. If a human is unusually strong with a good ability to keep warm, then they are going to work in outside labour."

"And if that human wanted to be a baker?" I cocked my head. "Nothing to stop him from lifting pounds of flour instead."

"It would be more appropriate for him to be somewhere else."

"Okay, what if it was you? You really want to be a leader, a ruler, but because you are..." I swallowed. "Strong, you have to be a bricklayer."

His nose twitched, but he remained quiet, so I continued rattling off ideas from the top of my head. From suitable living quarters, access to medicines, clothes and even access to food. They listened, and despite their down-turned faces, they only gave a few negative comments.

"There is one thing that Ailia and I have discussed in greater detail that she has not mentioned." Asra interrupted after I hesitated my next point.

Blue met blue, and I blinked, confused at what he was implying until I saw him shift his fingers in a familiar motion.

"Money!" I blurted. "Yes, money."

"Money?" Augustus scoffed. "What of it?"

"I am under the assumption that you all pay your humans the same, or similar, amounts, right?" I asked, and they shared looks. "Two coins for an average twelve hour day?"

They nodded, and my stomach curled with annoyance.

"With short unpaid breaks and no food provided, they expect humans to work an entire day for two coins." I stated.

"So what of it?" It was Cai who spoke.

I blinked at Piper's father, who seemed utterly confused. Piper said he needed things repeated a few times; his lack of attention concerning.

"That's fourteen coins a week if they work seven days." I continued, holding his gaze. "And working more than twelve hours a day does not give them any overtime, or a break, either."

"Most work that many days because they want to." Cai shrugged.

My jaw tightened as I grew irritant. "Most will work that many days because it beats being at home where they will be hungry or cold. At least at work, they can distract themselves and stay warm doing it. At least at work, they stay out of the districts, out of the streets, and into what they believe is safety."

"At least they are working and not causing riot."

"Oh, you mean the little street rats, right? Pests, was it?" I narrowed my eyes at David before looking back at Augustus. "I think that is what you called us, right?"

Augustus frowned, displeased at my harsh eye contact. "Two coins are plentiful."

"A meal is half a day's wage, no matter its size." I shook my head, feeling rather repetitious. "A two-bedroom house typically costs ten a week, and that isn't even including the cost of groceries, clothing, shoes, or transportation..."

"But wait, they cannot share house costs because families are torn apart, forced to live alone." I faux-gasped. "So, fourteen coins a week means they will have to sacrifice something. Three meals a day, heating in the winter, electric when it's dark..."

The room was silent, and I felt satisfied when I saw all of their reactions. There was a mix of guilt, understanding, and deep thought with some passiveness from David.