Chapter 18 (Baratie Arc: Part 3)

It had been nearly two days since Luffy nearly destroyed the Baratie. Some members of the Straw Hats were feeling bored. Shiki lay sprawled out on the deck, feeling hungry again. He thought about asking Nami for some money for food and headed to the back deck where she was.

Meanwhile, on the back deck, Nami was looking at a wanted poster. Shiki noticed the poster she had been staring at for the past few days. He shrugged it off.

"Hey Nami... can you help me with some money? Oh, you're looking at that wanted poster... sorry I bothered you," said Shiki.

As Shiki was about to leave, Nami said, "Shiki, I need to talk to you about something..."

"What is it?" responded Shiki.

After Nami explained her entire situation to Shiki, he stood there processing all the information he had just been given.

"Why didn't you ask for help the first time? If you had told us the truth from the beginning, we would have understood," said Shiki.

"No! I can't let the crew get involved in my problems! It's not fair to the crew," said Nami.

"But we are friends, aren't we? You can trust us," explained Shiki.

Nami bit her lip. She didn't want the crew to get involved because she didn't want to burden them.

"No, Shiki, just don't get involved, okay? I just want you to know that I have my reasons for leaving the crew. I also want you to know that it wasn't your fault. I have to do this," Nami tried to explain.

"Then why are you telling me these things if you didn't want us to get involved?" asked Shiki.

"You're different... I just thought I could trust you," said Nami.

"Then trust me and the crew with your burden. We are a crew, Nami, and your friends, so trust us, okay?" said Shiki with a smile.

"I do trust you and the crew," said Nami, looking up at Shiki. "That's why I'm going to do it on my own."

"Are you sure you want this, Nami?" asked Shiki sincerely.

Nami nodded.

"Then I won't stop you. You can go; I won't tell anyone," said Shiki.

"Thank you," said Nami as she hugged Shiki and walked away.

Shiki returned to the deck, deep in thought about what had occurred earlier.

At the Baratie, Shiki stuffed himself with dumplings because he was so hungry and lost in thought.

"Can I get more over here, please!" yelled Shiki.

"Sorry, Shiki, I think you've had enough," said Sanji.

"I gotta get my fix," said Shiki.

"Why does it sound like you're on drugs?" asked Sanji.

Shiki didn't answer, lost in deep thought, or perhaps he was simply processing the situation.

Just then, a woman screamed, and everyone halted what they were doing.

"Outside!" she yelled.

On the deck of the Going Merry...

"What's that!" yelled Usopp.

"It looks like Don Krieg's ship," said Zoro.

Back inside the Baratie, Shiki noticed something peculiar about it.

"Doesn't it look like it's been through a lot?" said Shiki.

"You're right, it looks wrecked," agreed Sanji.