"Cordelia, what happened?" she asked as she moved towards her as quickly as her leg would allow.

But the young lady just sobbed all the louder, attempting to conceal her face behind her stained gloved hands, her body trembling viciously like a leaf in the wind.

"All right, no matter. Do not worry about it at the moment. Let us just get you cleaned up and comfortable." She nodded to the two maids who flanked the distraught girl. They bowed their heads in acknowledgement, and the Countess watched them guide her towards the stairs before turning to the old butler.

"Where is Martha?" she asked, concerned but also angry that one of her most trusted servants would leave her niece in such a state.

But Nelson shook his head, confusion evident in his own eyes. "I do not know, m'lady. She arrived on her own. The driver of the phaeton found her in that state when he opened the door for her."

"And who does the driver work for?" she asked, her expression furrowing into a harsh frown.

"The Marquis of Midrake."

The shock left her momentarily speechless, but she did not allow herself to rush to any conclusions as she looked at Nelson. "Get a man to ride to Midrake immediately. I wish to know exactly what has happened to Miss Sutton."

He bowed and rushed off to do as instructed, and she turned towards the staircase. Having a broken leg was extremely trying in a house filled with stairs, and she knew she would need assistance up the staircase lest she fall and break her other leg.

Disgruntled and frustrated by her lack of independence, Lady Mayfield was forced to return to the drawing room to await the report from the maids tasked with looking after her niece.

It was a little before 4 o'clock when the maids entered the room and gave her a brief account of how Miss Sutton was faring. According to them, she was resting, but her features looked troubled and strained. There was darkness beneath her eyes, and her arms were lethargic as she was assisted into a clean nightgown and there was a haunted aura about her eyes.

The report puzzled the Countess exceedingly, and she asked if Cordelia had spoken of what had happened. When the ladies answered in the negative, she dismissed them, leaving her alone to her thoughts.

Although she had not been overly tired, all traces of sleep were banished from her body and mind as she pondered over the events of the night. How was it that she was returned home without her chaperone or even her maid? Did no one notice the state of her appearance or at least attempt to prevent whatever may have caused it?

Too many questions and too few answers did not sit well with her.

The dawn was breaking over the tops of the buildings, and the fire had long grown cold in its crate as Lady Mayfield remained in her seat, contemplating all that could have happened. She was pulled from her thoughts when, from the outside world, she heard the urgent approach of hooves.

She looked out onto the street and noticed a carriage with a familiar crest engraved on the side halt suddenly before Mayfield House.

Knowing who it was before the door was even opened, Lady Mayfield attempted to rise to her feet as quickly as possible, but the discomfort of her mending leg prohibited any sudden movements. She had only just managed to stand when the door to the drawing room was opened and Lady Topham and Edward Sutton rushed in.

"Eloise, I am so glad you are awake. Is Cordelia here? Oh, please tell me she is!" she babbled in a frantic tone, her hair in a disarray of curls which had most likely been in an elaborate style not too many hours ago.