Chapter 19

A/N: Hi, everyone!  Please see author's note at the end and enjoy! 

One week later...

"Isla, are you ready?" my mum calls from downstairs.

"One second," I yell back from my bedroom as I check my reflection in the mirror and smooth out the creases on my uniform. Slinging my bag over my shoulder, I rush down the stairs to the hallway, where my parents are already waiting with mildly annoyed expressions.

"Come on, you don't want to be late on the first day of term," Dad urges as he opens the front door of our house and unlocks the car with the press of a button.

"I know, I know," I reply casually as I slip on my school shoes and leave the house, only just snatching a slice of bread and a piece of fruit from the kitchen for my breakfast.

The ride to school doesn't take too long, but my anxiety seems to prolong the journey. There's simply too many things on my mind. Too many thoughts and worries that I try to keep at bay.

"Bye, Mum. Bye, Dad," I say when we arrive in front of the main building of Westview High after passing the gates.

"Isla, do you mind taking the bus home today after school?" Mum asks sheepishly as I grab my bag and prepare to leave, then proceeds to explain. "Your father has work and I have plans with a friend."

"Sure, no problem," I reply with a friendly smile even as my heart sinks slightly. It really is no problem though; I'm used to taking the bus every now and then.

"Good luck with your mocks today, Isla!" my dad says, waving goodbye to me as I climb out of the backseat of the car and turn towards the direction of the school's entrance.

As soon as I enter my form room for the first time since before the Christmas holidays, the first person I take immediate notice of is Elena, sitting in her usual seat with her usual horde of friends and followers. With her legs crossed and her chair faced outward, a carefree expression adorns her countenance as she chatters and gossips and laughs.

Does what happened at the New Year's Eve party really mean so little to her?

Is she really that unaffected?

***

One week earlier, at the New Year's Eve party...

With Elena's soft lips brushing against mine, everything else seems to fade away around us.

My mind can't comprehend what's happening, so it shuts down instead, leaving my thoughts in a jumble and my brain a mess.

The only sound I hear is my own heartbeat racing, thumping so loud that I'm almost certain everyone at the part can hear even through the whoops and cheers and blasts of the fireworks.

When Elena finally pulls back, my eyes flutter open again. Still shocked by the kiss, a question lies on the tip of my tongue.

Why? What does this mean?

Elena stares at me, her gaze lowering to my lips with a look on her face that almost seems like she doesn't believe it either.

Before I can summon the courage to say something — anything — to ask her why perhaps, someone else interrupts my train of thought.

"Elena!" the unmistakable voice of Sabrina shouts out. "Where are you?"

Instinctively, I jump further apart away from Elena, putting some distance between us. Sabrina's voice sounds far too close to our current location for my liking, and it wouldn't do for Elena and me to be seen together alone in a secluded space during the countdown. At least that's what my brain is telling me.