Broken

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

Broken

Alana's POV

One Week Later...

When I first came to Winterfell I hated how bleak and dull it was. How everything was grey and moody. The sun would hardly shine and clouds darkened the skies. I hated how dark I thought Winterfell was. How these castle walls drained me of my joy that I thought I had from King's Landing all my life. But I had been wrong.

Since the day we received the news of Lord Eddard's death and my father's injury it was as though even the walls of Winterfell itself had been mourning. All of us dressed in black from head to toe. I know that I'd met Robb and he had been in darker shades of brown and even deep red shades. Sometimes grey and sometimes green. But never did he wear black. Not until now. He didn't even wear black when we lost one of our babies. He just... Kept on keeping on. As best as he could.

I didn't want to be alone in my chambers anymore. Winterfell now had officially passed hands and belonged to Robb and I. Lady Stark was now the Widow of Winterfell and I was the Lady of Winterfell. Princess of Westeros and Lady of Winterfell... Wife to the Warden of the North and Prince of Westeros. Titles I never wanted. Titles that Robb never wanted either.

Today I decided to take Grey Wind for a walk in the woods when I realized Robb was nowhere to be found. Not in our chambers. Not in the stables. Not the bath. Not the kitchens or the dining hall. Not anywhere in sight. No one could even answer me on where he'd gone.

When suddenly it hit me.

The river.

Robb always would go to the river where Aerion had died when he'd been upset. It was his sacred spot and even during these last few months I never once went there while he's been there. It's his spot. His quiet place.

But a person can only be quiet for so long and live in isolation for so long before they drive themselves to madness. I had begun to feel myself going mad in those walls of my chambers while on bedrest after losing one of my babies. I refused to let myself continue to stir and wallow in my own self-pity.

It had been one of the worst feelings of my entire life. My mother had lost a child before. In fact, I was supposed to have had a twin brother. He was lost during our birth and my mother says it's a miracle that I survived. My father took care of everything for my mother after that. She never even saw my brother after he was born. He was taken away ever so quickly. All my mother knows is that he had dark hair and blue eyes with a birth mark on his hand that was shaped like a crescent moon.

I never knew the truth about my brother or even having a twin brother until my mother wrote to me after I lost one of the babies. I didn't know I was having twins. I didn't know until one bled out and a few weeks later I felt the living one moving around. I thought I was dying, I thought something was wrong. Maester Luwin examined me and told me otherwise. In fact, it was all going so smoothly he only placed me on bedrest to be sure nothing could possibly go wrong.

Everything that had gone wrong felt like it was my fault though. That somehow I caused all of it just by coming here. Just by being born into the wrong family. Wed into a family who didn't need my bad luck. The trauma I've brought with me from the moment I arrived here. My father stole Lord Eddard away by asking him to be his new hand. I was forced to wed a grieving Robb who had lost his best friend just a year prior. Now Lord Eddard has passed away and I lost part of myself along with an heir I was supposed to give to Robb. A piece of himself.

I trekked with Grey Wind through the woods and followed down the river. Grey Wind cleared each step for me to be sure I wouldn't trip on any loose branches or slick leaves. The wind blew harsher and colder by the water. My cloak was a deep black that wrapped around my entire body, not allowing a single hit from the wind against my body aside from my cheeks that were red and raw from the way it whipped.