The Hunt

CHAPTER TWELVE

The Hunt

Two Weeks Later

Robb's POV

"Ready the carriages!" Robert Baratheon shouted at the stable hands. My father was counting the horses as he adjusted his gloves and cloak. I stood close to him but keep enough distance between us. Especially sure to keep distance between myself and my now father-in-law, Robert.

My father approached me and eyed me up and down. "You're lacking sleeping."

I nodded and put my gloves on, realizing they were nearly beat to shreds. I hoped they'd last while we'd be off on our hunt for the next few days. We were only going to the Wolf's Woods but Robert wanted to camp there rather than coming and going each day.

"This is a chance for you to bond with Robert since you're now married to his daughter. Alana has done very well bonding with your mother and even myself. She's a nice girl-"

"She hates me." I scoffed and felt a rush of disappointment in myself. I let my anger get the best of my on our wedding night. I was never angry with her I was just angry with everyone else and the fact I couldn't protect her. I said something so fucking stupid that night... I told her I'd be the monster she thinks I am and she hasn't forgave me for that at all.

Father shook his head and placed a hand onto my shoulder. "She doesn't hate you... Trust me. I see the way she looks at you even after that night. Give it time... Alana is just as traumatized as you are. It's painful for her too."

"I told her I was going on the hunt with you all... She walked away from me." It was true. When I told her I'd be leaving for nearly a week she had nothing further to say to me. Each night has been the same terrible routine. We all have dinner in the great hall. Her and I go to our chambers. She freshens up in the bath and I sit and wait for her to get back. She comes in and hides under the covers for me to perform my duties.

I've tried to make it better for her. I try to kiss her and comfort her. She just turns her head away from me and doesn't seem at all interested. I give her a moment to try to find pleasure but she doesn't. She just grips onto the blankets and stares off into the distance. All I can go is three good pumps and then I'm done. Hoping it's enough to shut Robert up soon enough.

"Your mother and Alana are in the library right now having tea by the fire. Perhaps you should try and say farewell again." Father suggested. He then handed me an extra pair of gloves from his pocket. "Here, use my spares. Have your mother mend yours, good excuse to go up there right now... Isn't it?"

I nodded slowly and slid the gloves from my father on instead of my torn-up pair. I made my way up the stone steps and into the library where it smelled of fresh lavender and tea. I could feel the heat already from the fireplace and the sound of Alana's song like giggle filled my ears.

She sat in a chair aside my mother and I gave them both a kind smile. Alana looked down nervously and I could see she was sewing. Very well, actually. I was highly impressed with her stitch work.

Father told me to give the gloves to my mother but... I handed them to Alana instead. "I hear you're good with a needle and thread." I said softly.

Alana nodded. "I am." A soft smile on her lips. "Would you like me to fix these for you?"

"Please?" This was the most we'd spoken in what felt like days. "It doesn't have to be anytime soon... Just whenever you find a chance to mend them."