★ { Ananas } Lost in 30 Days

Start from the beginning

Then we finally meet Michale and he is even worse than we could have imagined. He comes, without warning as usual, and says nothing to his wife who has to get used to his comings and goings, completely ignoring what she might have planned that evening, the "poor" man has to come and spend time with his daughter. I also find it very ironic that he still wears his ring even though he has made it very clear that he no longer loves Ilana. Why keep this ring? And why does Ilana appreciate the gesture? It's not at all respectful, it's almost hypocritical and only taunts her mercilessly. He no longer considers her his wife, doesn't spend time with her, hates her, and keeps the ring anyway. This is not what will allow him to respect their marriage. If he respected this marriage, he wouldn't cheat on his wife or at least wait until he was divorced from her.

He arrives to file for divorce from his wife, a plausible situation given that they haven't lived together for a long time and he has made it clear that he no longer loves her. However, we can perhaps question his action, to suddenly show up and hand her the divorce papers immediately after eating, asking her only to sign them, without having said a single word to her during the entire meal, having asked her how she was doing, how things were going for her, at least a semblance of caring before breaking up their marriage and permanently destroying the already non-existent married life they had.

He asks her to sign the papers immediately as if he is in a big hurry. So one might ask, why is he in a hurry now when it's been about five years since they barely spoke and didn't live together? Why only divorce now? We know he just got engaged but still... Wouldn't it have been more comfortable to get divorced earlier? He had plenty of time to do it during those five years and it's not like he was with his mistress for a short time, I don't understand what in the situation could push him to stay married to Ilana for that long while hating her so much all this time. We know Ilana's reasons, but his... He doesn't care about his daughter's well-being since he's seldom home. So I don't understand why divorce happens so late in their lives.

Secondly, the level of insolence this man displays is simply breathtaking. He divorces her without explaining anything to her, giving her time to get used to the news, to think about arrangements, to think about her future life, since, clearly, during these five years, if he acted like he was already divorced, she lived as if she were still married, without thinking in the least about rebuilding her life, without seeing other men and, even if her marriage was falling apart, she still clung to it. But he has no consideration for her, he doesn't even tell her that, if he wants to divorce her so quickly, it's because he is now engaged. We already knew he was with someone else and had been with someone else for long enough that Ilana knew perfectly well who it was. However, he could have had the decency to wait until they were divorced to announce their engagement because, at the moment, he is committing the crime of adultery and I believe that, in some countries at least, it is illegal. Dating another woman is hard enough without him getting engaged before he's even completely broken up with his former wife. If I were his mistress, I would be a little worried by the lack of kindness with which he treats Ilana even though she said nothing all these years while he cheated on her. When he announces he wants a divorce, he gives her no reason and, if she hadn't heard the news elsewhere, she would never have known why he so suddenly wanted to leave her. I find it even more petty to do this behind her back.

He does not even allow her to give her opinion on the conditions of the divorce and negotiations are completely absent. He decides everything for her without taking into account her desires and feelings. Even though he hates her, there is still a legal process, they have to discuss custody of Ira, but this subject is not brought up until much later, when Ilana insists that he stay more with them. What would he have done otherwise? He mentions that he had not yet discussed it with his new fiancée. I find it very special and surprising of him to be in such a hurry to remarry to the point that he hasn't even talked about how to take care of his daughter with his mistress.