Ch4 - Friend

Whisper's POV

You awoke with a gasp, quickly pulling yourself to a seated position. The thick blankets that had been covering your body fell to a crumpled heap at your legs, and the sensation of it was enough to ground you in the present. Your hands reactively moved to your chest as your soul raced beneath your ribs, trembling. Was... was that real? Did that really happen? You took in a deep breath, needing a moment to calm, and then your gaze shifted to the rest of the room around you.

The house you were in appeared to be small, but quite cosy. It was very cottage core in its aesthetic, though you did briefly wonder why the majority of the plants seemed to be artificial. Perhaps the owners weren't good at plant care? You seemed to be in a lounge room, having woken up on an old fashioned but relatively comfortable sofa.

A fireplace crackled nearby, the gentle flicker of flames casting an orange glow across everything, though the room was mainly lit by afternoon light spilling in through the windows. You briefly wondered why whoever owned this place had bothered lighting a fire if there was more than enough light, but then your eyes fell to the blankets, and it clicked. The person who had helped you said you were hypothermic, didn't they? Maybe they lit the fireplace to keep you warm?

"I see you are awake," a familiar voice hummed from the little kitchenette area. You recognised it as whoever found you in the snow. He wore long black robes, loose enough they concealed his figure. He wore a hood that obscured his features slightly, though you could see his skull fairly okay, the gentle expression he held as he watched you. "Do you drink tea? Coffee, maybe?"

"U-uhm... I..." you trailed off, unsure of what to say. You hadn't had either before.

He simply smiled. "No need to be so nervous. I know you're a new soul, you must be pretty overwhelmed. How about I make you a hot chocolate? I usually make them for Goth when he's had a rough day," he offered. "Goth's my son, by the way. He's off doing... whatever it is teens do these days."

The other had such a gentle and calm tone that you couldn't help but feel at ease in his presence, your anxiety lessening with each moment that went by. "Okay," you let out softly. You weren't really sure what a hot chocolate was, but you were willing to give the suggestion a try.

With that confirmation, Reaper gave a small nod, moving to the various cupboards to pull out a cup and some ingredients. "I'm not sure if you remember, but my name's Reaper. I found you unconscious out in the Everglades," he let out as he made his way over to you holding two cups in his hands. One for himself, you assumed.

"The... Everglades?" you echoed. He held out one cup to you, and you took it gratefully, cradling the warm drink in your fingers. The porcelain was smooth. You took a cautious sip from it, and the moment you did, your eyes lit up into the shape of stars at the divine taste. It was so good!

"I see you like the drink," Reaper chuckled at your reaction. "And yes. The Everglades is what everyone calls that region of land you were in. You're lucky I found you, nobody really ventures that far out," he explained. "Do you have a name, little god?" His words caused you to freeze up, the grip on your cup tightening. "Relax, you're not in danger. Did you not know that I am a god too?"

"You... are?" you let out quietly, surprised at his admittance.

"I am the god of death. I reap the souls of those who have passed so they may find peace," he explained. His smile seemed melancholy.

You nodded, fidgeting with the blanket in your lap a little bit. "Oh... My name is Whisper. I'm not really sure what my role is. But, uhm... how did you know I was a god?"

"Gods typically recognise gods, but your aura is very... subdued. I was only able to recognise you because of the way death lingers around you. You may not be a death god yourself, but you have been touched by death, shaped by it."

"That's, uhm... Kind of cryptic," you commented. You didn't really understand what he was saying, what his words meant.

"Is it?" he chuckled. "Well, regardless, you are certainly a darker god, even if your aesthetic does not reflect that. And you're clearly quite young; your soul is barely a few days old. A word of advice; You do not bear marking of the Sun or Moon kingdom, so if you choose to stay solitary, do not freely disclose what you are."

"What do you mean by mark? And the Sun and Moon Kingdom?" you asked, curious as to what he was talking about.

"The Sun and Moon Kingdoms are ruled by twin kings; Dream and Nightmare. Whilst the former flourishes, the latter has fallen to apparent disarray," he began to explain to you.

That name, Nightmare, was familiar. Where had you heard it? Wasn't that what the skeleton with the gold eyes in your dream called you when he thought you were his sibling? Did... that mean the golden eyed skeleton was Dream, then, maybe? But why would he be in your dreams? You kept your questions silent, focusing on what Reaper was telling you.

"Those who declare their loyalty earn a soul mark, of which appears on their face - a sun for the Sun Kingdom, a moon for the Moon kingdom. This gives them protections and support offered by the kingdom they choose to ally with, but declaring their loyalty also earns them the reputation associated with their kingdom, and makes it clear the side they would fight for should conflict between the kings erupt."

The explanation of markings did make sense, but as you looked at Reaper, you realised that he bore neither a sun nor moon. "Uhm... Why don't you have a mark, then? Does that mean something different?"