Chapter Thirty-Three ۞ Trouble

Start from the beginning

After knowing she had this sort of ability, Valeriana was faced with another dilemma. How and why was her life so full of complications? This time, she would not only die from purifying too much but also using her ability too much. How strict was her limit?

"That necklace will serve as a suppressant that keeps your power in check. The lord has it given to you because you drastically needed it."

"If I'm a half-blood . . . then why haven't I discovered I had this sort of ability before? And if it is how you say it is, then why am I still alive?"

The frustration was starting to get to her.

"Your bracelet." Seraphina replied. "You say your father gave this to you during your fifth birthday and you had it on until now. It might've been your suppressant that keeps both sides in perfect balance."

With the ornament brought up for discussion, the presence of her accessory grew more significant.

It truly kept on surprising her.

"I'm sorry . . ." She trailed off. "C-can we please set aside the training for now?"

Her forehead throbbed a dull pain that made black dots appear in her vision. This was a dangerous symptom of an upcoming headache that might actually be a sign of shock.

If she wasn't careful, she might faint.

"I understand. Are you feeling unwell?"

"It's just a little headache." She retorted. "I'm really sorry, Lady Seraphina."

"It's fine. We've been at this for a week now. I know how stressing it might have been for you. Take your much needed rest and call me if you want to resume. For the mean time, go back to the residences. Do also watch out, the montly package from your family will arrive."

"Thank you."

A bit ashamed for having to end things like this, she rushed back to her room to find some time alone with no outside disturbances. She needed to think.

Some might see it as a bit overdramatic, but the pressure of the answers she had been getting lately was pushing down on her a bit too much.

No wonder the constant 'You aren't ready' she had been hearing.

Half-bloods? How ridiculous!

This made her doubt the identity of her father all the more. He was the one suspicious around here.

Wouldn't it be too much for someone to know their lives were at stake with the littlest bit of mistake? Overusing the ability or helping out too much . . . could she even do anything at all with these limitations?

How would she be even able to enjoy helping out when the price she had to pay was with her life? As selfish as that sounded.

There's a reason why your father did not tell you.

Was this it? Was this the reason why Janus did not tell her, or Jareth, anything?

Climbing on top of her bed, she sprawled out on it wearily as a sigh escaped through her lips. She gazed at the ceiling and silently thought about the trials she had been going through lately.

What were those stupid Valemnian gods of theirs doing?

Did they enjoy making her feel like this? Why did fate toy with her so much?

Wait a moment.

Jareth.

Good lords!

Her stupid, sweets-freak brother was the same and she only realized it. As annoying as he was, it was a sure thing he was in the same kind of dilemma.