Chapter Thirty-Three ۞ Trouble

Start from the beginning

"Um . . ." Her hesitation was palpable in her eyes.

Should she even come out like this? When she didn't even know much about this ability?

Valeriana realized one thing.

This ability was a double-edged sword. A double-headed viper. While she cut off the darkness in others, her life is also cut as much.

This undeveloped method that cured the infection might not be applicable to everyone. It might not be able to work on full-fledged demons.

If she used it without knowing too well about it first, there was a risk she would do something wrong along the way. It might cost the life of others, or worst, her very own.

"You can think it through. His Majesty will not go against your wishes. Just tell me when you are ready and I shall pass on the word."

"I'll think about it."

"Alright then, with that out of the way, we should seriously start with the training now." Seraphina moved forward and angled her sword properly before taking a fighting stance.

"I have one more question."

"What is it?" Her form slackened.

"Lord Aeron hasn't been coming around as of late, which is very strange." She said. "You haven't seen him, have you?"

"Ah, that man." Seraphina sighed, a crease appearing between her brows. "I have almost forgotten, so I thank you for reminding me. I was so excited about bringing the news . . ."

Her guardian then reached into one of her pockets and brought out a small box about the size and length of her thumb. It had a velvet casing and was firm and sturdy when it landed on Valeriana's palm.

"He asked me to give this to you and that he excuses himself as he cannot afford to drop by for a while. His work, he says, is demanding."

Valeriana felt a frown on her face at this. "He was always busy but he never missed to visit every now and then!" She exclaimed. "He just probably doesn't want to because of me!"

"I think he meant it this time." The lady knight was serious and her eyes spoke of no lies. "Open it."

Valeriana did as instructed and opened the small box. She was greeted by an object she never thought she would see ever again.

"The necklace." Her eyes went wide.

It surely brought back memories.

"He suspects that you are a half-blood so he had the necklace fixed and enchanted with some sort of . . . protection. Half-bloods are dangerously unstable." Seraphina explained, her eyes narrowing. "So there is a chance that you are in danger of losing your sanity should you ever overexceed using your gift."

"I don't understand." She gazed at the pendant and traced the smooth lines. "Half-bloods?"

"It is a child born of a human and a Valemnian." Said Seraphina, her sword lowering as she focused on getting what she meant across. "Let us put it this way. Humans are not used to the power pressure Valemnia has, so they crumble to ashes. The ability to wield a power control runs in the blood of us Valemnians. Should it exist in human body, the reactions will be unimaginable."

Her imagination worked out the image, making her mouth form an 'O'.

"Half-bloods hang on a delicate balance. They cannot be too human or too Valemnian. Should they be too human, the power will consume them and they'll die. However, if they are too Valemnian, they go mad as they are unable to control the power. I only relay to you what I already know."