Chapter 17 - Endless Maze

Start from the beginning

Alastor hums a gentle tune, each second passing until he allows himself to catch up. Instantly, he set off to the right, turning each corner with the hopes of getting to you soon.

Your heart was pounding in your chest, a smile on your face as you heard rustling footsteps hurrying around you.

"Y/n! My dear, sweet Y/n, where are you?" He calls out from the other side of a bush.

You knew better than to reply. With each step, the exit seemed to grow closer. Each turn seemed right, each corner leading closer and closer to victory.

The gravel below you was a dead giveaway, each crunch only giving up your position. Stopping just as you hear Alastor call out, "Run, run, as fast as you can!"

Creating a tiny spark of magic, you hoped a more agreeable footpath would unfold. And that it did; in an instant, the gravel turned to grass, growing over each inch of path until it reached Alastor.

"Smart girl," he mumbles with a tinge of pride. "Don't think that'll help all too much, my dear!"

"But it'll help nonetheless," You think to yourself while taking a second to decide your next move. If you were correct about the following few tunes, then you would be home free; if not... well, let's not be so cynical.

"Aha!" Alastor wraps his arms around you, scaring you half to death. "Now, did you really think you'd win?" You glare up at him, giving a gentle frown. "You know how much I hate to see you frown, ma biche,"

"Maybe you should've let me win," you counter, trying to frown more.

"Maybe you should have run faster," he teases back, seeing your smile slowly form, "come now, I suppose you deserve your prize,"

"And you, yours," you add on, linking arms with him.

Just as you turn the last corner, you are met with the centre of the maze. Fuck. Where did you go wrong? Was it the 5th turn? Or was it the 8th??

You felt as though you had run twice the maze's length, only to end up halfway! Where did you-?

"Someone looks frustrated," two arms snake around you, never failing to scare you.

Your eyes roll in defeat. "You're awfully smug for a cheater,"

"Ah, yes, never your fault, is it?" He teases gently, resting his head on your shoulder again.

"Never," softly laughing, a sway soon starting. "Thank you, Alastor,"

"Whatever for?"

"For making me feel... normal again," you place one hand on his, the other resting against his face.

He leans into your touch, a swarm of butterflies fluttering in his chest as he fights the rushing blush and tight feeling in his chest. "You have nothing to thank me for," he moved you, regretfully, out of his arms.

You lift your hand above your head, inviting him to spin you. "Does this mean it's a tie?"

A grin overtakes, and with a single tug, he had his finger hooked under your chin and his other hand resting perfectly against your hip. "Since you asked oh so nicely,"

~~~

"Oh god," you lean your head back against the wall, closing your eyes in delight. "You have no clue how much I've missed this,"

"As have I," Alastor grins, watching the satisfied smile on your lips.

The refrigerator light casts a glow on you both. The palace kitchen was as quiet as could be, with distant music pouring out of the ballroom. It was a quaint and tucked-away pantry kitchen for coffee and snacks—close and confined. Away from the racket of overlords and elites, leaving you a smidgen of normality. Cookware scattered the sink as you both enjoyed one of Alastor's signature dishes.

Spiced rum pecan pie.

A buttery crunch of caramelised pecans coated the top layer as the spices hit your tongue with perfection. It was comforting, warm and relieving. This was more than nostalgia; it was safety. Alastor was your safety, your assurance, your solace.

"Looks like your glass is empty," you tilt your head, "would you like another?"

"Who am I to turn down such a generous offer," he pulls his glass back towards him.

An idea suddenly pops up into your head, "considering the grandness of this night, why not end it with something just as exciting?" You hop off the counter, walking towards a cabinet.

"And how do you suppose we do that?" He leans against the counter with his arms crossed.

"With a costly bottle of champagne," you turn back around with two champagne glasses and a golden bottle glowing gently by its own volition.

"Lucifer's?" He inquired with a grin.

"Who else's?" You extend one glass his way, matching his grin.

~~~

This chapter's descriptions also killed me, lol

Also, I couldn't find a meme, so here's a cursed photo of my bf's family cat eating a cheese puff 👹

- Anna ❤️