CHAPTER EIGHT - Room For Two?

> MedKit POV.

"W-Who's there?"

Medkit clamped his mouth shut. The voices on the other side of the hatch went silent, the rain the only sound.

"Excuse us?"

"Who are you?" Medkit called again. He fumbled for something to say, gripping a small metal pole he'd fished from a box of junk. He raised it, ready for the intruder to barge in and attack.

The voices moved back a bit. "You said you saw her leave."

"I did!"

"So then who's that guy?"

"I don't know, I swear!"

"You said that last time when we were trying to get into that old guy's house."

Medkit held his pole in his teeth and started working on the locks and puzzles. He knew that it was going to be a horrible idea, but he needed to find out what these two wanted. And he was a good negotiator. He'd find a way to talk them out of killing him or robbing the place... he hoped.

Not like using words worked last time. Now look where it had gotten him, injured, alone with a serial killer, and missing an eye.

"I'm going to let you in," Medkit called, "But I am armed, and--and if you so much as touch me I will bash your head in."

"Score!" one of the voices piped up, followed by an "Ow! Okay! I'll be quiet."

Medkit slid open the final bolt and in crashed two Phighters, sprawling on the floor in a puddle of bodies and mud. Wiping away the muck, the pair of young Phighters got to their feet and looked around.

"Huh," said the first, a petite, polite woman with a pink kimono and flowers blossoming from her horns and clothes. One arm was a strange wood-like texture, knocking on things and creaking as it moved. "This place is dark and dingy. Not like how I'd expect her base to look at all."

"Look how many knives she has," marveled the second Phighter, who looked similar to the other. He wore a black hood and tunic, one of his arms tattooed with sweeping, curving patterns in bright green ink. "Look at her knife collection, sis!"

"Hold on," Medkit frowned, singular eye flicking from one to the other. "You two need to tell me. What are you doing here? Are you friends of Scythe's?"

The black-wearing Phighter shook his head. "We're actually here to--"

"Talk about our job application!" the second one jumped in. "I'm Vinestaff. This is my brother, Shuriken. We're working with Scythe and was hoping that she'd have spaces in her gang for us."

"Well then," Medkit mumbled, "you're awfully suspicious."

Shuriken shrugged. "We're just like that."

"Right, right."

Riiiight, Medkit thought, but he didn't dare say it.