CHAPTER FOUR - BanLand.

> Broker POV.

"Lalalalalalala!" 

Broker kicked his feet outside the cage, humming loudly to himself as he sawed at the thick steel bars with a tiny metal wire. He'd managed to smuggle the wire in with him by winding it around the lace of his shoe, and he'd made good progress. There was now a single visible scratch in the bar. He'd probably be out soon enough. Maybe in the next eleven months or so.

"Lalalalalala... talking to the moooooooooooooooooooon--"

"SHUT UP!" was the distant yell.

Broker frowned. Clearly someone didn't have good taste in music. He coiled himself up in the cage and stared out across the horizon. Good old BanLand. Sent there for life, because he was illegally altering gear and stealing gear and selling gear without a license and vandalizing expensive gear and breaking other people's gear and--

Huh. He'd committed a lot of crimes involving gear now that he thought about it.

A quiet tapping sound echoed from behind him. BanLand was mostly a volcanic wasteland, on an alternate plain which served as a jail for Inphinity's worst criminals. Smoke lazily curled from holes in the ground. Lava streamed and shot out of hidden geysers. The Broker now had a permanent cage just for him, with 'DUMB IDIOT ZONE' in huge white letters hovering above it.

Broker turned to the tapping noise, eyes zoning in on a pair of purple boots kicking up dust across a wooden old bridge nearby. The hulking man scratched at his horns, his dark purple armour and giant matching hammer pulsing with faint light. A thick woolen blindfold wound around his head, but The Broker knew exactly what was under it. The man had four eyes. Lucky.

"Oh, BanHammer!" Broker sang and pressed himself up to the bars of his cage, stretching out his arms in a hug. BanHammer jolted and whipped to face him. "--Buh?"

"Banny! Come over here. I haven't seen you in ages!" 

BanHammer snorted. "It's been fifteen minutes. Clearly you don't seem to function well without someone to annoy."

Broker giggled feverishly. "You're funny. So, what was it that got me in here this time? Money laundering? Theft?"

"You know what you did. It'll take weeks for those people to clean that mess up," BanHammer grumbled, prodding Broker in the forehead. "Now, go back to thinking about what you've done. I have another patrol to go on."

He tramped off, leaving Broker behind. But Broker had no time to complain about BanHammer's rudeness. He'd managed to snag a small sharp thing off BanHammer's armour without him noticing. 

Well, it shortened Broker's imprisonment to six months. Better than eleven.

So he got to work, sawing away at the bar of his cage with his tiny metal scrap.