Chapter 2: Bridgerton House

Começar do início

Colin looked at himself realizing his attire does not fit a palace engagement, let alone any engagement at the ton. He bids everyone good luck especially Franny who will be the star of their family's entourage.

"Colin." The returned traveler gazes back at Anthony as the Viscount gave him a strict order. "You will be present at the Cowper's ball tonight, yes? I take it you do not want to miss Franny's first ball. She needs us."

It took few seconds before Colin could answer his older brother. He had just arrived at their home and frankly speaking, he feels too tired to do anything else for now. But seeing the seriousness on the face of the Viscount made him agree to the request. After all, aside from supporting Francesca, there is another person whom he would like to take on the dance floor.

"Of course, brother. I will be there."

"Good." Upon hearing Colin's confirmation. A quick smile formed on Anthony's lips. They then went along and rode the carriages towards the Queen's palace, leaving Colin alone with the company of the family's servants.

"A bath sir?" Humboldt asked the third master after offering his arms to take away Colin's belongings. The latter removed his dusted coat and handed it over to the butler. He looked at the old man feeling a bit shamed on how he looks. Colin had always prided himself as a true gentleman. However, he realized that at that moment, he encompasses no form of being a gentleman at all.

His whole appearance looks rugged from his long journey, his coat all crumpled and dusted, his face looking dark from stubbles and absence of a shave, and a lack of bath as a consequence from days-long ride on the carriage to London.

"Do I smell that bad, Humboldt?"

The butler dared not to answer the man but instead, smiled and leads him upstairs towards the bathing area. "I will have a platter of biscuits prepared and fixed for you sir."

The third Bridgerton son smiled at the gesture of their butler. Every one who knows him, from family and friends, to servants alike, knew too well how big of an appetite he has. There is almost no day that they see him without being hungry over any course of snacks.

"Do I not have any letters?" Colin asked as he takes off his garments one by one. His valet had already poured hot water on the tub upon arriving on the bath room.

"A few from the family Mister Bridgerton. Aside from your mother and from Miss Eloise, nothing else. Now that you are here sir, I do not think necessary to mail it anymore. But I will have them delivered to your room for your reading."

Colin's forehead crunched and his eyebrows narrowed upon hearing the unsatisfying response from their butler. He had expected his mother and a few of his siblings to write and respond to his letters but there is one person whom he longed for a correspondence; Penelope Featherington. The girl had become one of whom he shares with stories of his travels. He had enjoyed her responses, her sensible queries on things revolving the foreign land he is on. It was because of their frequent correspondence last off-season that he realized how enjoyable it is to converse with her. He could still not believe how Penelope and his sister Eloise could have become the best of friends as they were totally opposite to one another. Her eloquence in writing is worthy of acclaim, making him wonder how the gentlemen in the ton could not bother talking to an intelligent and sweet girl like her.

And that leaves Colin surprised to hear that there is no letter for him coming from the young Featherington.

"Are you sure Humboldt? Nothing from Miss Penelope Featherington?" The butler just shook her head.

During his travel, Colin had never missed sending a letter to his childhood friend at least once a week. All the new places and foods he tries, the scenery his eyes have come to see, the weather and how the locals fare on each town he visits; everything he does is shared towards his letter to Penelope. However, what irks him is that for all of his twenty-four letters sent these past months, nothing not even one correspondence has he received from the young lady. There should be no error on the mailing address as his letters got through to his family, even their responses he was able to receive while overseas. Colin finds it difficult to find any reason Penelope would not be sending a response to him. Unless, if there is something grave that happened to the young lady making her incapacitated or unable to receive his letters.

"Nothing Mister Bridgerton."

"Have something of concern happened to the Featheringtons?" Colin was curious if his friend's family had been involved in any scandal of sort. He was not able to hear any news about them since his departure to Italy. The last time he saw Penelope was from her mama's ball last season and since then, they were unable to have any form of communication.

"Nothing that I am aware of sir. Only that they have arrived on their estate yesterday afternoon."

Humboldt's statement had somehow given Colin a positive outlook insight on why might there be a lack of news from Penelope.

"They traveled to country?"

"It was said that the whole family had spent the last six months on their distant relative's estate."

"Very well, that makes sense. Thank you, Humboldt." Colin resumed his business in getting back on being a neat and proper gentleman as he finishes his bath. Now satisfied upon hearing that Penelope Featherington and her family had spent time away from London, Colin was thinking that might be the reason as to why the red-haired girl were unable to respond to any of his letters.

With the confirmation that their neighbors are back in town, Colin has led himself to believe that no matter the lack of writing, he will be able to converse with his good friend Penelope on tonight's ball. He then finally let his valet and servants take care of him as he goes back to transform as a good gentleman of the ton.