Chapter 5

Ella's going home. And she panics. Home. There's no telling what kind of state her home is. No, wait. She knows about home. It is her house she isn't sure about. No, home is gone. So Ella complies, and collects her belongings. She doesn't have much, just the ring, and the clothes she wore in, which she puts on, to wear out.

Once she's in Alyssa's office, Ella relaxes. But Alyssa notices that she's a bit sick.

"Ella? You okay?" she asks, handing her a glass of water.

"Yes. It's just – this happened yesterday too. My head, my brain, knows that I can't remember the last few years. But deep down, there's a part of me that knows I've been in that room for so long. And that part of me starts to panic. But I'll be fine, I'm sure. Once I get used to this – "Ella stops, because she doesn't know what to call it. New life? New state of being? New world? She's not sure.

Alyssa frowns. "Maybe you should talk to someone."

"What, like another Doctor? No thanks, Ly. I can handle this."

Alyssa gives her a knowing smile. "Thought you'd say something like that." Then she sorts through some papers on her desk. "These are your discharge papers. I – had them prepared last night, just in case. Sign wherever there's an 'X'. You have your things already. But your properties and financial holdings have been in Jema's hands. They will be returned to you, effective immediately."

Ella frowns. "Jema?"

Alyssa looks concerned. "Yes. You – remember her, don't you?"

"Yes, of course," she says. "But why her?"

Alyssa shrugs. "After your accident she handled your company as well and the Board agreed, as long as they received a small handling fee."

Ella smirks. "Right. Small."

"I'm sure she'll be happy to give you a report on what your company has been doing lately." Their eyes meet, and Alyssa looks away first.

"I'm sure," Ella says, not at all wanting to hear a report on her company from Jema.

"Is there anything else you need?" Alyssa asks quietly, once all the papers are signed.

"No," Ella replies, frowning. There's everything she needs, though. Her whole life back, for starters. "I had a dream last night, only I don't think it was just a dream. It was of the night all this happened."

Alyssa perks up. "Oh? What did you see?"

"The whole thing, exactly as I remember it."

"Who – who did it?"

Ella smiles a bitter smile. "My Aunt. And two other members of the organization. Said it was only a matter of time before they found me and gave me my due for betraying them. I managed to fight back but the next thing I remember was waking up yesterday and seeing things all black and white."

"And you arrived here."

"That was my goal. I knew I was injured, badly. They wanted to properly beat me in remorse for my actions of course, then killed me afterwards."

"I figured they'd do that," Alyssa says, grimly. "Your Aunt is the only remaining member of the Organization that is still at large. The other two have been caught." Alyssa pauses and looks at Ella. "Ella, I – I'm sorry that all of this happened."

Ella sighs. "Me too."

There's a moment of silence, then Alyssa says, "So what are you going to do now?"

"Try to get my life in order. Then I will hunt down my Aunt. If the others were still free, I would hunt them too as well. But just Aunt, then I'm not really sure what I'll do once I find her. And Ly, rest assured, I will find her."