Chapter 1

Ella's eyes opens, and she sees a flash of light; then she sees herself, bundled up, and it's cold, very cold, and all black and white outside. She's walking down a street probably going home, and she's really happy about something...something she just bought. Then, she senses... people—three of them. She goes to check who it was, but they're fast. And suddenly someone hit her on the head and then – 

Nothing. Just black. Then a white ceiling... 

Slowly, she sits up, confused. Her bed sheets are white, she's wearing a plain pants and a shirt. And she's not sure on what's happening around her, but one thing she's pretty close to sure is that she's not home or either at her office. 

She looks around the room, and there's more. White walls, a grey chair, a black table with a book, an apple and a pen. Everything is black or white or in between. Except the picture frame next to her bed with a group of girls in it. She cannot recognize each of them and has no idea what the picture is about... 

She also knows there's something very, very wrong with all the black and white, but she can't remember what. There should be...more, she thinks, but she can't think. The only furniture in the room is a bed, a table, a chair, and a nightstand. She frowns, noticing that a single chair means she doesn't have much company. 

Then she notices a window and goes to look out. The picture before her is a sea with houses and rooftops around, so she knows that she's probably on a high place. Above some things, but still beneath others. But as she tries to think again her head starts to throb. 

She sits down on the bed, and the door she hadn't noticed suddenly opens. A tired tall-looking woman walks in, and Ella blinks in surprise. She's also wearing a plain blouse and pants, underneath a white coat. Her long brown hair – that she knows is not quite right – is tied up in a bun. Ella knows she's beautiful – just by looking at her. 

Jema then smiles at her, with a clipboard and a pen on hand. 

"Good morning, Ella," she says, looking at the clipboard. "How are you feeling?" 

"Don't you usually wear more fashionable than this?" Ella says, and she's not sure where it came from, but she knows she's right. 

Jema was stunned, and her heart skips a beat. It's been the same for two years, two long years and she has a fleeting moment of both joy and panic because this day is different.. 

Two years ago Ella was brought to Hospital that one cold night and was brought to the eight level—ICU department. She'll never forget reading the diagnosis in her chart. And it is forever burned into her memory. 

 Coma; Permanent brain damage. 

She took Ella as her patient, and every morning since she has regain consciousness, she has followed the same routine. She goes into her room, says hello, and asks her a series of questions. Specialist said that the time she became conscious she has acquired a certain memory disorder wherein she has loss the ability to create new memories and unable to remember anything about her recent past due to the injury she acquired; also sustained a short term memory loss that happens day-to-day. 

 To be able to help her somehow, they list certain questions that is strictly followed: 

 (1) How are you feeling this morning? 

 (2) What is the last thing you remember? 

 (3) How much do you remember before this? 

 (4) Do you know who you are? 

 (5) Where are you? 

 And the answers were usually similar every day, some identical.