20 || A... Plan?

Mulai dari awal

Accidents.

I caused an accident.

I messed it up.

"Thank you," I mumble, turning my gaze to the ground, "and I'm sorry. I just—" tears begin to rise again— "when I saw that thing... the Mangle... I shut down. It's like... like I couldn't move. I could barely breathe."

"That happened in my dream," Abby whispers, and I look down at her. She stares straight ahead, refusing to make eye contact with me or anyone else in the group.

"It did?" I press, looking over at Mike for a second. His eyes meet mine and he shrugs, letting me know he wasn't aware of this dream of hers.

"You saw Mangle and freaked out," Abby mumbles. The words physically hurt her as she forces them out, but that doesn't stop her. "We were in a room, I think Kid's Cove, and Mangle was hanging from the ceiling. You dropped me and I was locked in... and it got you." Her voice gets quieter as she speaks. By the time she whispers, "I couldn't get out", I think I might be the only one who can hear her clearly. 

I look away, tears welling up again. 

She's been having nightmares for so long. 

I wish I could stop them. 

I wish I could help her.

After a moment, Mike gently says, "It's okay, Abs. That's not going to happen."

"What if it does?" she asks, her voice more than terrified.

It already did.

The voice in my head is not my own, and when I turn to see who's speaking, I find Jeremy Fitzgerald standing behind me. His hands are stuffed into his security uniform pockets and the baseball cap on his head is pulled down low. He looks at me with dark eyes and a cold expression, and something tells me he's not here for the fun of it.

"Fitzgerald," I greet him politely— mostly to let the others know who's here. Abby looks back towards him, then up at me while I continue to watch the man standing a few feet away. He makes no move to approach or explain, so I take the first stab. "Why are you here?"

"I think you know that already," he replies, tilting his head a little to the side. The wound becomes a little more visible from beneath the hat, the front of his face red and broken with teeth marks and fresh scars. 

Even though I could probably take a guess at what he's implying, I take my chances and mumble, "I need more of an explanation than that." To my surprise, he obliges.

"Well," he mutters, looking towards the building instead of at me. "When the thing that killed me starts killing someone or something else, I usually know."

"What does that mean?" I ask, recoiling a little bit. As far as I know, I wasn't killed.

"Mangle wanted to kill you," he says calmly, shifting his gaze back to look at me. "And she had every intention to, but she didn't."

"She?" I question. The Mangle hadn't exactly given off a gendered presence, but I know for a fact I didn't feel anything strikingly feminine while I was losing consciousness. If what little-Jeremy said was right, and the Mangle was a combination of all the spirits of the kids that had been killed by it, then there should be no one gender assigned to it. 

"The river," Jeremy offers, his words coming out of nowhere.

Instantly I find myself struggling to breathe. I feel water in my lungs, rising quickly. Suffocating me. Drowning me.

"I don't know her name," he admits, his voice calm in contrast to the panic I'm feeling, "but I think you do."

Sam, I mouth.