𝟢𝟦𝟦, 𝐬𝐮𝐜𝐡 𝐧𝐞𝐫𝐝𝐬

Start from the beginning

"Ben's been stung," Chuck says quietly. "He was yelling things about Thomas. On how this is his fault. Why he came here so early—"

"Wait— why did he, though?"

"As a warning," Chuck mutters. He shrugs. "I don't know what that means. He just said that Thomas came to warn and help, but at the same time, he said he works for a certain them."

Warn the Gladers? Help the Gladers?

In what?

Escaping?

But work for WCKD?

She's so busy thinking for a while that she only realizes why Chuck's this upset once he has finished drinking his water.

"He's getting Banished, isn't he?" She murmurs, mostly to herself.

And it physically hurts.

"Yes," Chuck replies, voice hollow. "Tonight."

If that damn boy wouldn't have broken her fucking foot she would've been able to stop the Grievers from stinging Ben, though she threw the shoe at him first so it's kind of her fault, and now she—

Oh, god.

She can control the Grievers.

Which is great.

She could save Ben.

But she can't.

He's been stung and way too past the Gone to be saved. They should've given him the serum earlier.

And that means she'll have to either do something so distracting that she won't even think of the Grievers, or she'll have to send them at Ben.

Her eyes squeeze shut at the thought. She can't. Ben's her friend. Maybe she's a traitor towards him for blocking the exit of the Maze, but he's still her friend.

"Where are you going?"

"Trying to fix this," she mutters. Her leg no longer matters. She runs straight into her hut to grab all the chemicals she needs, and then sits down in the Med Hut to start working.

From looking in her notebook to adding ingredients and then taking her own blood and then going over the recipe again.

She never figured out how exactly she made the serum, or cure, to that virus. But she does know the virus is similar to the after affects of a Griever's stinger. And the serum looks the same too.

If only she knew the whole damn recipe. There's no time to dive into the lake today.

"Jeff," she rushes into the Homestead's first floor, where they must be keeping Ben at the moment. "What's his blood type?"

"I don't kn—"

A million curses leave her mouth. They don't have the material to figure out blood types either.

And if she used her blood for the serum she made against the virus she had, and survived, that means she can only cure a certain group of people. They'll die if they get the wrong blood type inside their body.