° chapter twenty five

nothing happened in the way i wanted

[08:42]

Dohee held her phone tight in her hand as she slipped past the bodies in the hallway, tightening her grip any time somebody came too close for comfort. The foyer outside the main hall was more crowded today than usual, and a lot louder too. It was the second of four mandatory meeting for the group projects. These were scheduled by the schools to give the students a place to start, a subtle helpful move. The first two were held at Sehwa and there were more people here than the run down school could handle. Moving out of the foyer into the corridor wasn't any better, the blend of the black and burgundy uniforms hurt her eyes, she was shoved, she was pushed, someone's shoulder was brushing against her at all times, her hair was sticking to her skin and was all up in her face, someone was gossiping, someone was talking, and sometimes, someone yelled in her ear. It was really frustrating and far too early in the morning for this. The corridor wasn't even that narrow, there was no reason for every student to be packed in together this way. People just chose to stand much closer to each other than needed. She breathed in and out slowly, trying to ground herself, knowing that the corridor was due to get wider at the end where it splits off in two different directions and enter the two separate ends of the block.

just a few more steps

Some music would've done well to drown out the talk and the calling of the crowd but she knew better. She would have only found herself more annoyed with singing and beats in her ears. She glanced at the clock on the wall, she was here a whole twenty minutes early and wouldn't have minded getting settled in the classroom if it was a regular class. Except it wasn't, she had a rocky start with one of her teammates, hot chocolate boy was in her group and she didn't want to speak to anyone else unless it was necessary.
toilets
head for the toilets

Yes, she was going to hide out in the toilets till she was ready to go to the meeting but when her eyes glanced past its door in the corridor, she knew she was going to have to find one in a quieter block. The door was practically being held open by the line of girls waiting to get in. She didn't even want to think of how hot and sweaty it would be in there.
it's okay dohee you've got this
only a few more steps

There was a tap on her shoulder that she chose to ignore. Someone shoved her shoulder accidentally as they walked in opposite direction to most of the crowd. She slipped in and out of conversations as she walked past different people but there was a persistent string of "excuse me" she couldn't quite escape.
fuck off, you're excused

Her mind repeated the same chant until she finally entered the corridor that lead to the other block, sighing in relief to see it was much calmer than it was in the previous corridor. She should've guessed it was only going to be temporary, stopping dead in her tracks when she felt more tapping on her shoulder.
"Excuse me!"