The Incidence of 1%

Start from the beginning

Before she could take her leave, Thyme's voice halted her movements. "Wait," he called out, stepping closer to her. "I'll drop you home. I don't have much to do at home anyway."

Arisa's initial instinct was to refuse, but something in Thyme's expression softened her resolve.

''Wouldn't your mother be worried?'' Arisa asked, her brows furrowing as she waited for the reply.

''Don't worry about it.''

As they walked through the waking city, Arisa and Thyme engaged in a conversation that ebbed and flowed like the currents of the night they had just endured. The once tense atmosphere had given way to a more relaxed exchange of words, punctuated by occasional laughter and shared glances.

"So, do you always have such eventful nights, or is this a special occasion?" Arisa teased, breaking the silence that lingered between them.

Thyme chuckled, his expression betraying a hint of amusement. "Not usually. Last night was a bit... out of the ordinary, I suppose. I don't always end up trapped in a fire escape with someone."

Arisa couldn't help but smile at the understatement. "Yeah, that doesn't happen to most people. I blame it on your dramatic umbrella toss."

Thyme grinned, his eyes glinting with a playful spark. "Well, I like to make things interesting."

Thyme's phone pierced the air with its urgent ringtone, shattering the tranquillity of their conversation. His expression shifted, a mixture of dread and alarm flickering across his features as he glanced at the screen. Without a word, he scanned their surroundings, his eyes darting until they settled on a black car trailing them from a distance.

A sense of unease washed over Arisa as Thyme pulled her closer, his grip firm yet urgent on her arm. Confusion clouded her features, but before she could voice her questions, Thyme sprang into action. With a swift movement, he veered off their path, his footsteps quickening as they disappeared into the shelter of an alleyway.

Arisa stumbled slightly, caught off guard by the sudden change in direction. She cast a bewildered glance at Thyme, but his attention remained fixed on their surroundings, his senses alert to any potential danger

Thyme reluctantly answered the call, his jaw clenching slightly as he brought the phone to his ear. The strained conversation unfolded, and Arisa could sense the tension in his voice, the subtle crease forming on his forehead. The words exchanged were brief, laced with a strained formality that hinted at a strained relationship.

"Yeah, I'll be home," Thyme muttered, his eyes briefly flickering toward Arisa before returning to the distant horizon. His mother's voice crackled through the phone, the words unheard, but their impact evident in Thyme's guarded expression.

Arisa observed the subtle shift in Thyme's demeanour, the way his shoulders tensed as if burdened by the weight of the conversation. Without a farewell, he ended the call and pocketed the phone, a heavy sigh escaping his lips.

Thyme's gaze lingered on Arisa, a mix of reluctance and determination flickering in his eyes. "It was my mother," he said, his voice betraying a hint of vulnerability beneath the surface. "I should go home."

Arisa sensed the weight of his words, the unspoken turmoil that clouded his thoughts. "Do you need to go? Is everything alright? " she asked softly, concern etched in her features.

Thyme's expression wavered, a fleeting glimpse of longing crossing his features before he composed himself. "Yeah, I should," he replied, his tone masking the inner turmoil. "But you don't need to worry about me. Just... make sure you get home safely, okay?"