The Incidence of 1%

Thyme stirred, his eyes blinking open to a scene he hadn't expected. Disoriented, he found himself nestled in an unusual embrace. His head was resting on top of Arisa's, the cold metal of the fire escape beneath them. For a moment, he simply observed the serene vulnerability that surrounded Arisa. Her peaceful slumber painted her features with a softness he hadn't seen before, a stark contrast to the usual chaos that unfolded around them.

Arisa, too, was caught in the grip of sleep, her head resting on Thyme's shoulder. The strains of worry that usually etched her face had faded away, leaving behind an expression of innocence.

Soon, her eyelids fluttered open, greeted by the muted light filtering through the rain-streaked window. The first thing she saw was Thyme, his eyes locked onto hers. A fraction too close for comfort. Startled, she let out a yelp, a mixture of surprise and embarrassment.

Arisa instinctively backed away, putting a bit more distance between them. Her cheeks flushed, and she shot a bemused glance at Thyme. "Could you get any closer without invading my personal space completely?" she quipped, attempting to lighten the sudden tension with a touch of her usual banter.

Thyme, with a subtle smirk, replied, "Well, I was merely ensuring you didn't float away in your dreams. Consider it a service."

Arisa rolled her eyes but couldn't help the small smile that tugged at her lips

Still grappling with the remnants of sleep, Arisa fumbled for her phone, only to be met with the realisation that it lay lifeless in her hands. Dead battery. She sighed, contemplating the implications of being unreachable.

Thyme, seemingly more alert, attempted to open the escape door, his efforts met with stubborn resistance. Furrowing his brows, he inspected the door more closely, and that's when he spotted the sign: 'Opens One Way.'

His eyes widened in realisation. "Well, this is fantastic," he muttered sarcastically. "Seems like we're in for an extended stay."

Arisa shot him a deadpan look. "Trapped in a fire escape with Mr. Saviour. What an eventful day this turned out to be," she remarked, her tone a blend of irony and amusement.

The door swung open with an unexpected force, and Arisa let out an involuntary yelp, startled by the sudden movement. In a theatrical response, Thyme instinctively grabbed her, as if shielding her from a potential danger. Their eyes met in a brief moment of shared surprise, but before they could react further, a cleaner entered the scene.

Blinking at the unusual sight before her, the cleaner's expression shifted from confusion to mild irritation as she stood in the doorway with her mop and bucket. Arisa and Thyme, realising the awkwardness of their embrace, hastily released each other, their faces adorned with subtle embarrassment.

The cleaner, annoyed at the sight of the two teenagers caught in an awkward embrace, scowled at them. "You two better get going, or I'll have to call the police. How did you even get in here," she grumbled, her tone laced with irritation. Arisa and Thyme exchanged sheepish glances, hastily nodding in agreement as they made an exit, leaving the cleaner to resume her duties with a disgruntled expression. 

As Arisa and Thyme stepped outside, they were greeted by the gentle warmth of the morning sun and the melodious chirping of birds. The city, which had been shrouded in darkness during the night, now emerged into a new day. Shops, once closed and silent, began to awaken with activity, shutters rolling up and doors creaking open.

Arisa turned to face Thyme, a faint smile playing on her lips despite the inconveniences of the night. "Well, despite everything, I actually enjoyed spending the day with you," she confessed, ''I guess it's time to part ways then. Goodbye!'' She raised her hand and turned away her voice leaving a note of sincerity.