The Emperor's Training

"Do you think anyone has ever told him that his laugh is sort of creepy?"

Obi-wan and Qui-Gon sat together on a bench, arms folded as they watched Anakin sitting at his makeshift desk. A pale yellow glow was cast on everything in the tent, a common housing situation for those on the battlefield.

The Emperor sat back in his chair, feet kicked up on the table, holding multiple parchments in his hand. Every now and then, he would let out a low, guttural laugh, bringing his free hand up to cover his mouth as if he didn't want anyone else to hear.

"What's he reading, anyways?" Obi-Wan asked, tilting his head towards the older General but keeping his eyes on Anakin.

"That's the unbelievable part," Qui-Gon replied, giving the auburn-haired man a sideways glance before looking back at the Emperor. "It's a letter from Empress (Y/N)."

Obi-Wan sat up straight, looking at his friend in disbelief.

"You're telling me he got a letter from the Empress, and didn't burn it immediately without reading it?"

"Oh, believe me, he tried. I just barely got it out of his hands before he did. The messenger who delivered it said it contained a request, so I made him read it. But now, he's read it three times. I can't stop wondering what's in it."

Obi-Wan shared a glance with Qui-Gon before pushing up off of the bench, taking a few slow steps towards his superior.

"What's so funny, Anakin?" He asked, feigning being casual.

Anakin looked up at him with a smirk.

"Wouldn't you like to know?"

Obi-Wan looked disbelievingly back at Qui-Gon, before turning back to the Emperor. Noticing their eyes on him, waiting for an explanation, Anakin waved the papers in the air.

"A few weeks ago, (Y/N) got ambushed in the Bracca sector and completely fell on her ass," he snickered, glee evident on his face. "Apparently some little ginger freak saved her life."

"Oh? And you find that funny?" Qui-Gon said, forcing a pained and exasperated smile on his face.

"What? Obviously, it's hilarious!" Anakin said, holding his arms out in defense. "Oh, come on. I'm only laughing because she's fine. I know it would be bad for the Empire if she were to suddenly die."

He paused, before adding - 

"Wishful thinking."

Qui-Gon covered his face with his hands, taking calming breaths as Obi-Wan began to laugh along, reading the letter over the Emperor's shoulder.

"I can't believe she told you all of this," Obi-Wan said. "I'd never give someone who bullied me so much a letter filled with ammunition against me."

"Yeah, me either!" Anakin said, turning to face him. "That's why it's so great. There's no record of me doing anything even half as stupid."

Qui-Gon could hear (Y/N) in his mind now, saying something along the lines of "every history book written about your entire reign will be a record of you acting stupid."

"You know, it's because she actually respects you, Anakin. Are you seriously telling me you've never noticed how carefully she pays attention to your abilities? She's probably going to ask you to train her into a stronger fighter."

"That's exactly what she's doing," Obi-Wan said, skipping ahead to the end of the letter. "Though I can't fathom why she'd ask you over Qui-Gon."

"Maybe because I'm a stronger warrior than Qui-Gon?" The Emperor scoffed. "She went to the strongest place first - I suppose she's not as stupid as I give her credit for."