The Empire's Wildcard

"It appears the scales have tipped once again."

The gravelly voice of Sheev Palpatine echoed throughout the moonlit chamber, sparkling stars reflecting against obsidian floors. 

A singular tall throne sat facing away from the windows, concealing the Sith Lord's shriveled body from the glowing planets. Cast in shadow, one could hardly see his face - only the servants who kneeled before him were familiar with his countenance. 

"There's nothing to be concerned with, my Lord," a meek voice replied. "Emperor Anakin is returning to Ra as we speak. He will soon be back on the battlefront, blissfully ignorant of anything happening at home."

The Sith said nothing in response, merely standing and sauntering slowly over to gaze out across the sky. An uncomfortable silence followed, the apprentices behind him not daring to lift their heads. 

"I am familiar with Anakin Skywalker," Palpatine replied, his cloak dragging against the ground as he paced. 

Another beat of quiet followed as he paused, still facing away from his company.

"It is (Y/N) (L/N) of Coruscant who has shifted the balance."

At this, one of the Sith shifted. Though his gaze remained cast on the floor beneath him, his face contorted in confusion.

"If I may, Master - surely someone of your power is not worried about the queen of Coruscant. Did she not sell herself off to the Empire to protect her kingdom? I should think that would make her less of a leader, and more of a concubine."

The elderly Sith Lord clicked his tongue. 

"What an ignorant way of thinking," he murmured.

The apprentice sucked in a breath, thinking better of speaking again.

"(Y/N) (L/N) - or should I now say, (Y/N) Skywalker - is the Empire's wildcard. We have formidable opponents; both in her, and whoever had the good sense to bring her in. My senses suggest that it was Yoda of Dagobah who headlined the suggestion."

"Enlighten us, my Lord?" 

Palpatine finally turned towards the center of the room, returning to his seat. Before him sat a mahogany table, large and pointed, with a slick surface. From his pocket he retrieved a marble, which he tossed out onto the table. It rolled forward, colors swirling in the middle, tapping gently against the inkwell before him.

"Perhaps you're unfamiliar with the Empress's abilities - but I've had my eye on Coruscant for some time. Quite frankly, I find her intelligence and Force use disturbing."

Collecting the marble again, he turned it over and over in his fingers, the reflection casting a glint of light on his pale face. 

"Emperor Anakin may be naive enough to think his marriage to (Y/N) was for his benefit, but her quick succession to a larger throne has put her in the perfect position to become one of the strongest rulers of this generation. She now has access to one of the largest militaries in the world."

One of the younger Sith took the opportunity to look up - not dauntless enough to make eye contact with his superior, he focused on the marble instead.

"Will she be allowed any control over it? The Emperor does not seem like the type to share his resources. I would be surprised to see him relinquish any power to an outsider."

"If she's smart - and she is - she will weasel her way in," Palpatine replied calmly. "It's likely that she's already making moves to establish allies within the Empire. It's very early on in her marriage, so we would be hasty to expect any large advances from her. However, make no mistake - her steps may be small, but they're a firm foundation."