20 | Someday

"That's everything," I spoke, the six of us standing in Mr. Giles' small living room; our bags and luggage set down in front of us.

"I can't believe we're actually leaving!" Casey said and we all nodded, agreeing with her statement.

While the last week had been fast-paced and the definition of chaotic, it still felt like only days ago that we had arrived here.

"Are you all ready?" Mr. Giles asked and the five of us exchanged a look.

The bus back to Mackay Hills arrived at eleven and it was a quarter-to now.

"I guess so," I murmured.

"You're always welcome here Summer. All of you are. And if I ever need somebody you'll be the first I'll call," he assured me and I smiled.

"Thanks. And thank you for everything. For letting us stay here. I don't think any of us would be alive without you right now,"

Mr. Giles smiled back, seeming somewhat flustered.

"It was no bother. But I do hope I'll see you all again someday," he replied.

"So do I. Now lets go!" I cried and we all laughed, taking the luggage from the floor.

"Thanks again!" Ellie called, as the five of us exited the door for what could be the last time.

The bus station was only a few minutes away from the apartment and we arrived just as the bus was pulling up.

"Perfect timing," I noted, handing the bus driver my ticket.

"I am not sitting in the middle this time," Casey spoke and I laughed slightly.

"Fine. Guess you'll have to sit next to Charles,"

Casey pulled a face, silently taking a seat in the middle.

"Knew it," Jim spoke quietly and I giggled in response, taking my own seat beside the window.

"Okay! Ladies and gentleman may I have your attention please?" the driver announced; the five of us- and the three other passengers- quietened down.

"This bus is travelling from Sunnydale to Los Angeles. It will stop through approximately twelve other towns including Mackay Hills, Hartmoore and Whiteport. The trip is scheduled to take around three hours," he spoke and I groaned inwardly.

The trip had been just as long last time but I still wasn't prepared for the three hours of sitting inside a cramped bus.

"I guess its time to say goodbye to the Hellmouth," I murmured as we neared the 'Leaving Sunnydale' sign.

"Bye," we all said quietly, watching the landscape change as we passed onto desert-like roads.

"Do you think we'll be back?" Jim asked and I smiled.

"Someday,"

The rest of the bus ride was quiet, and soon enough the familiar roads and houses of Mackay Hills fell into view.

"Time to go," Charles announced as the bus slowed to a stop.

The five of us exchanged a look before standing from the seats we had been in for the past few hours, leaving the bus behind with only bags of luggage in our hands.

It was warmer here than in Sunnydale, the hazy wind making it feel as if it were summer already.

It was the same place I had been my whole life.

It was home.

"I guess...see you all tomorrow?" Ellie ventured after a moment.

I glanced up from the bunch of flowers I was staring at, imbedded into the asphalt, surviving amongst the cracks.