15 | To Be A Slayer Is To Be Strong

"Kiss marry kill out of the three of us," Casey spoke, her head hanging over the back of her chair to look at me in boredom.

"Nope. No way. Not answering that question," I replied and she rolled her eyes.

"Fine. Jim?"

Jim looked up, a smile twitching his lips.

"Kiss Ellie, marry Summer and kill you,"

Ellie, Jim and I all laughed while Casey glared at him.

"Your turn," she sulked and Jim grinned.

"Kiss marry kill out of me, Charles and Summer," he said to Casey and she pulled a face.

"Kiss Summer, marry you, which is way gross, and kill Charles for putting me through these last four days,"

I waggled an eyebrow at her, laughing.

"Don't get any ideas," she shot back and I snorted.

"Yeah, believe me when I say I won't,"

"Ellie? Jim? I believe we're ready for you to begin. It's three o'clock now," Charles called and Ellie and Jim exchanged a nervous glance.

"Okay," Ellie mumbled and the two of them stood, walking over to the Hellmouth's opening, hands shaking.

"Casey and Summer, could you come over here?" Charles asked quietly and we nodded joining the Watchers at the stairs.

Ellie was drawing pentacles with black paint, the both of them muttering words that were inaudible to the four of us.

It was almost mesmerising, watching them work with such elegance and I found myself unable to take my eyes off the spot where they stood.

"Okay," Jim spoke after what must have been hours. "We're ready,"

"This is the uh...the incantation," Ellie said, gesturing that the four of us- the Watchers included- joined them at the opening.

"Do we...do we say it now?" Casey asked, anxiety in her usually overly confident voice.

"Uh, yeah. All together but Summer...you should hold the book. And when it says 'my' say 'our'," Ellie replied and I nodded, taking the book from her shaking hands.

"Count of three?" I asked and Jim nodded.

"Three,"

"Two,"

"One,"

"Goddess Hecate, hear our plea. Hold entrance to darkness and exit to light. Bring only what loves and never what devours. Bring the world peace and show what is right, give end to the passage through the tunnels of Hell. These are our words, so mote it be," we all spoke.

There was a sudden burst of light and we all ducked, cowering together in what I supposed looked like a hug.

"Is it over?" Casey asked after a moment and I stood to inspect the opening.

The materials for the spell were still there and where the painted pentacle once stood, there was now a pentacle etched into the wooden floor.

"I...I think it worked," I whispered and the others slowly joined me, one by one.

"We'll just have to wait and see," Ellie murmured back and I exhaled, not realising I had been holding my breath.

"Do we pack up?" I asked her and she shook her head.

"I think we should wait until we know for sure that it worked,"

"Right. Good idea,"

"What're you gonna do about the pentacle in your floor?" Casey asked Mr. Giles who laughed slightly.