01 | Slayer

"You're late"

Sighing, I threw my bag onto the desk.

"Hi to you too,"

My Watcher, Charles, smiled briefly at me before returning to his usual stern expression.

"Okay. What's up?" I asked, walking over to where he stood, inspecting an old text.

"I don't know. But its not good," he told me.

"When is it ever?" a familiar voice asked, and I turned around to see Jim Locklear, my childhood best friend.

"Oh thank God you're here. Something's up," I told him and he nodded, joining us at the bookshelf.

"Well...is there something I'm missing?" Jim asked, brushing long, Native American hair that I was eternally jealous of, out of his eyes.

"Not exactly. This is an ancient text written in Latin, hence why you can't understand it. But it's answering a lot of our questions, Summer. It's explaining a lot," Charles said, glancing up at me.

Summer.

Summer Jackson.

That's me.

I'm sixteen years old, an awful student and a vampire Slayer.

And it's been like that for nearly two years now.

I was called last year, in 1984 following the death of the previous Slayer, Nikki Wood who had lived an extremely long life for a Slayer, so it didn't feel as bad when I was called as if it might have if she had been my age.

Charles Walters has been my Watcher since the very start and he teaches history at my high school, though he's in the library enough I'm surprised they haven't offered him a job as librarian.

Jim's been my friend since forever ago, along with Casey Davis and Ellie Barnes.

"Hey!" Ellie called cheerfully as she and Casey entered the library.

"Something's up," Jim reported to them and they nodded.

"Like usual," Ellie said with a grin.

Charles raised an eyebrow at her.

"Well that's not the way we like things!" he exclaimed and she frowned instead.

"Sorry," she muttered hastily and I glanced at Jim, the two of us stifling laughter.

"What's going on Charles? What's this answering for us?" I asked, regaining composure.

"I think its something to do with the Hellmouth,"

"The what?" the four of us asked at once.

Charles turned to face us from where he had been inspecting the page.

"The Hellmouth. In Sunnydale?"

We continued to stare blankly at him.

"You really don't know what a Hellmouth is?" he asked, astonished.

I shook my head.

"Nope. Sounds bad," I said, hazarding a guess that I hoped would be correct.

"Is it like the opposite of a Heavenmouth?" Casey asked, giggling.

"There's no such thing. A Hellmouth is an opening to the land below us. If it opens, the Master can rise," he explained.

"And what does this have to do with Sunny-whatever?" Ellie asked.

"Sunnydale. It's the town on top of the closest Hellmouth. I have an acquaintance who works there," Charles told us.

"And you think something's trying to open it?" Jim clarified, taking a seat on the edge of the table.

Charles nodded.

"Yes. And you might be the only one able to stop it Summer," he said, everyone's gazes flicking to me.

"But, everyone's trained. You said so yourself that if something...bad like this happened we would be ready. All of us," I reminded him, worry creeping in.

Charles sighed and walked over to where I stood.

"But there's only one Slayer. And that's you. But don't worry, its nothing you cant handle," he spoke with a reassuring smile.

I sighed, joining Jim on the table.

"What do I do?"

Charles grinned suddenly and I stared back at him.

"What's with all the teeth?" I asked and he dropped the smile in mock annoyance.

"We're going to Sunnydale,"

My eyes lit up.

"Seriously?!"

He smiled.

"Yes. But think of it as a work trip. You'll be there for slaying, not for a holiday,"

But I wasn't listening.

"Is Sunnydale like, completely remote or is it like, cute vintage?" Casey asked and Jim laughed.

"Its...a town. I believe there are shops," Charles told her absentmindedly. "But that won't matter because you three aren't coming."

Casey, Ellie and Jim's smiles drooped.

"What?" Ellie asked, hurt in her voice.

"It's a Hellmouth. There's going to be a lot more danger there than there is here, which is where I want you," he told them.

"Charles, that's not fair. They've proved invaluable countless times. Ellie's trained in slaying and Wicca and so's Jim! Casey's...well Casey can fight! And she's there for moral support," I begged.

"Support? That sounds like a lot of work," Casey whispered in my ear and I quickly shushed her.

Charles looked back at me, and then at the others.

"Very well," he said with a sigh. "Though I've no idea where you'll all be staying,"

"When do we leave?" Jim asked.

"Day after tomorrow. First day of spring break," he said.

"What am I supposed to tell my mom? She wanted me to help her at the shop, not that I'm sad to miss it, but she'll be mad," Casey asked and Charles smiled briefly at her.

"Don't worry about that. I've already informed Summer's father that she's going on a week long history field trip. I'll do the same for you three since you insist on coming,"

Jim smiled.

"Don't bother with mine. I'll tell them myself. Knowing them, they'd be less worried about me going to slay vampires at the Hellmouth than me going on a school trip with you guys. No offense or anything Casey," he said with a grin and I grinned back at him.

Casey rolled her eyes.

"Just because I failed history last year doesn't mean I'm stupid!"

"No, the fact that you failed all your classes does," Jim teased and she glared playfully at him.

Charles cleared his throat and we all turned to look at him.

"Lets get back to the matter at hand shall we? I'll send a letter out to both of your parents tonight," he told us, looking at Ellie and Casey.

The bell rang signaling the end of lunch and us four teenagers got up to leave.

Charles sighed.

"Be on time tomorrow please!" he called after us.

"Can't make any promises!" 

(A/N: Hiii! This is my new story! I hope you guys like ittt :) Stay safe and totally tubular and I'll see you in the next one! xx)