ੈ✩‧₊˚ |𝟬𝟰| 𝗔𝘅𝗲𝗹𝗹𝗲'𝘀 𝗠𝗮𝗿𝗸𝗲𝘁 𝗗𝗮𝘆 𝗥𝗲𝗽𝗼𝗿𝘁

Start from the beginning

I kept wandering throughout the market, my eyes wide with wonder. Wylan bought some bread and swirly-looking things that he called pasta for the next week. He also invited Keira to come over one day for lunch.

He didn't invite me.

I didn't care. For too long, I had been confined to the safety and security of my home. But now, there was a whole world out there waiting to be explored. I did just that, but I consciously stayed close to Wylan and Keira who were chatting away.

"Wait, but don't they check your ID?" Wylan asked Keira as she shrugged.

"Not really. I mean, the year and the lie make sense to them. As long as you don't create trouble, they don't bother you. Plus, the Disease's restriction to children is more of a guideline. I used to live in a small shelter where they gave us abandoned kids some food, but it was closed down when I was sixteen," Keira explained to Wylan as he listened in horror.

"So, you just came outside when you were underage?" he asked, taking a sip of his mango juice from a stall.

"Sure, look. It was either starve or take a chance with the Disease out here. I would die either way, so I said, why not just take a chance? I don't think I'm immune. The age is just a guideline. I know many who scavenge for food even though they're fifteen. Some of them do get sick now and then but the effects of the Disease vary from person to person."

"Interesting," Wylan said shortly. "Do you remember when the Verids would just wear those huge masks while patrolling?"

Keira stopped for a moment. "I was very small then, but yeah. I remember it. Why?"

Wylan continued walking. "Just a thought. Why would they need masks unless they already knew something like the Disease existed?"

------

I stayed silent, Wylan and Keira continuing their conversation. They'd immediately hit it off. Both were seemingly comfortable around one another. Wylan was talking about his job and Keira was listening intently. I couldn't shake off the uneasy feeling. The mention of the Disease, even ever so casually brought back memories of Mama's warnings, Papa's disappearance and the day I got Baby Alissa. My fear was palpable, even if I pretended it didn't exist.

The market was slowing down its bustle now. I glanced around nervously, my eyes scanning the crowd. The faces around me were oblivious to everything else around them, lost in their own conversations and transactions much like Keira and Wylan.

Suddenly, a sharp voice cut through the chatter, sending a shiver down my spine. Just when I thought I'd gotten away with it too!

"Hey, you! Stop right there!"

I froze as the sound of heavy footsteps echoed behind us. Turning slowly, I felt a knot form in my stomach as I saw a group of Veridonian guards marching towards us, their usual mahogany sticks gleaming in the dimness. There had to be something else on those sticks.

Panic surged through me as I realized that I had been caught, and because of me, Wylan and Keira might get in trouble too. My heart pounded in my chest as the guards closed in, their expressions stern.

"Wylan stepped forward, adopting a defiant stance as he faced the approaching guards. "What's the problem, Sir Verid?" he asked, his voice steady despite the tremor of fear in his eyes.

One of the guards, one that I talked to me earlier fixed Wylan with a cold gaze. "Miss Henderson, you will need to be removed from this area," he said to me, his tone harsh.

Keira had disappeared amongst the shadows by now, her silhouette barely visible among the looming darkness. I hesitated, moving back from the Verids who were reaching out to grab me.