Monalise and Rafael

Start from the beginning

"Pineapple upside down cake?" He questioned when he saw my plate. I had requested it earlier when Georgie had asked me what I was craving. Someone must have ran and got it because it was in the fridge when I came down for a snack.

I didn't answer deciding eating my cake was the only thing I was focused on right now. He walked passed the island to go to the fridge. From the corner of my eyes, I watched him pull out a bin of what looked like brownie pieces before removing the lid and popping one into his mouth.

I wondered if this was a normal thing for him to do or if he'd heard me when I loudly dropped a fork earlier.

"It's ten o'clock and my brain can only think of chocolate." He shook his head. "If my mom were here to see this, she'd slap me silly."

His mom? This was the first time I heard him mention her. I assumed something had happened to her because I had only known it to have ever been him and his dad.

It was silent between us for a while with only our forks against our plates. I was perfectly fine not saying a word to him if I didn't need to. His blatant disrespect earlier was not something I'd easily forget.

I heard him sigh before he came around to take a seat in one of the stools. He left a stool empty between us which I was very grateful for.

"Did you get the prenatal vitamins I had someone buy? They're supposed to help with the baby's development and everything..." he trailed off when he noticed the look I was giving him.

"No, I didn't. And I know what they do, Levi." I spat annoyed that he was still talking even though I was very clearly ignoring him.

"Okay, I'm sorry." he tore off a napkin from the holder and used it to wipe his mouth and his hands that were no doubt sticky from the chocolate mess on his plate and his fork. "But, you shouldn't not take them because you're upset at me."

I shook my head and turned back to my cake. "I just told you I didn't get them. I wouldn't withhold anything from my baby just to spite you."

"Ese temperamento tampoco es bueno para el bebé, ¿verdad? (That temper is not good for the baby either, is it?). Why do you insist on being so upset with me every time we talk?"

"Are you serious?" I said with my voice slightly elevated. "I'm not here on vacation, nor did I come here willingly. Georgie held me at gunpoint to get me here. So, I apologize if I'm not the most delightful person after being forced to stay here while God knows what is happening out there in the real world."

"I wish you would have just left him when I gave you the chance the first time." The smirk that he wore was that of someone who wanted to say "I told you so". "None of this would be happening and we'd be somewhere in the Caribbean right now enjoying fruits."

I set my fork down, loudly. I was tired of this man and his obsession with having me. He wasn't an ugly man and I knew there were probably plenty of other women out there dying for his attention. I'm sure he could go out there and find someone who looks exactly like me that would give him a lot less trouble.

"You need therapy. I'm happily married and not interested in leaving him for you."

He chuckled darkly. "Happily married? You allowed me to take you out multiple times as a happily married woman? Tell me something. How many nights a week do you see Rafael? How many times a week do you get to speak to him?

You've seen me more times in the span of two days than I'm sure you see that motherfucker on a regular basis. You're not happily married, you're enjoying the convenience of being married to him. You don't want to start over with another man, especially not while you're pregnant."