ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝕋𝕙𝕣𝕖𝕖

Start from the beginning

"We gotta focus. Do you even have your EMF reader?" he snapped toward me with a raised brow.

"'Do you have your EMF reader'?" I mocked him and rolled my eyes. "Of course I do, Sam. I'm not an idiot." 

He opened his mouth to retort, and I gave him a dirty look that immediately encouraged him to keep his mouth shut. I pulled said EMF reader out of my pocket and flipped the on-switch before I started slowly working my way through the club. Sam stayed close to my side, keeping his head on a swivel and his pistol at the ready. 

I raised the EMF reader as we walked around the bar, the stages, and down the hallway to the private rooms. Not a peep from the thing. Not a single red light flickered, absolutely nothing indicated anything paranormal. So, that at least crosses a malevolent spirit out of the suspect pool. 

A shifter was my next best guess, so as we continued to search and examine the club, I kept my eyes peeled for anything grotesque. When a shifter sheds its skin and becomes a new shape, it literally sheds its skin...leaving a pile of discarded human flesh in its wake. Not a lot makes me queasy given my line of work, but that always has. 

But as I took the time comb through each of the private rooms, I couldn't find a single indication of that either. It doesn't cross out the possibility...but if it is a shifter, there's gotta be a lair or something closeby where the thing can change itself discreetly. I shuddered at the thought, and my lunch threatened to work its way back up. 

God, I fucking hate monsters.

"You find anything?" Sam asked from where he stood, hanging back against the doorway to keep a lookout. 

"Nada." I responded in a defeated sigh. I'm sure if I were to hold up a blacklight in this room, I'd discover more than enough grotesquery to hold me over for the next five years...but nothing monster related. Just evidence of depraved humans.  "You?" I asked.

"Nothing." he huffed. "There's not a speck of sulfur in this place, so that rules out demon. I haven't seen anything resembling a hex-bag anywhere, so I don't know if it's a witch either. I'm stumped." 

"Me too." I groaned, stuffing my EMF reader back in my pocket. "There's gotta be something here we're not-"

My words were cut off by a loud thump emanating from the main area of the bar. The thump was then followed by a loud squeak, as if a chair was being slid across the floor. 

We got company.

My back stiffened, and I shot a look to Sam, who was tensing up just the same. He raised his pistol out in front of him, grasping it firmly in both hands and keeping his finger hovering just above the trigger. I took up the same stance, raising my weapon in one hand and holding my flashlight in the other, both arms in front of me defensively. 

I nodded my head toward the hallway, silently urging Sam and I forward. We stepped very slowly, not allowing a single footstep to be audible...not giving our unexpected guest anything resembling a warning, or a chance to flee. 

We cleared the hallway, and stepped out into the open club. My eyes darted around, scanning the stages, the tables...searching for any sign of movement. When I finally saw something move from the corner of my eye, I turned my flashlight toward the bar, where I saw what appeared to be a woman, facing away from us and hunched over while rummaging through something beneath the liquor shelves.

I flashed a look to Sam, and he just gave me a single nod as he aimed his weapon for the woman, and I mirrored his actions as I readied myself to announce our presence.

"Hands where we can see 'em." I demanded firmly, keeping my feet planted and my arms steady, ready to shoot at the first sign of ill intent, or the first indication that she was going to bolt.