Chapter 2: The Queen's Arrival

Start from the beginning

With careful hands, Elara helped the girl to her feet, steadying her as she wiped away her tears. "There, that's better," she said, offering the girl a warm smile. "Now, what's your name?"

The girl sniffled, her tears beginning to dry as she looked up at Elara with wide, curious eyes. "I'm Lena," she said softly, her voice still shaky but filled with newfound courage.

"Well, Lena, it's very nice to meet you," Elara said, her smile widening. "My name is Elara. I work here at the castle."

Lily's eyes widened in awe as she glanced around at her surroundings, her fear melting away in the warmth of Elara's kindness. "Wow, you work at the castle?" she exclaimed, her voice filled with wonder.

Elara nodded, her heart swelling with pride. "Yes, I do. And I have to say, it's quite an adventure."

As Lena's eyes alight with curiosity and a hint of excitement. "Elara, do you also stay here in the castle?" She asked.

Elara's smile widened at the question. "Yes, I do," she replied, nodding in affirmation.

Lena's grin grew even wider at Elara's confirmation. "That's wonderful!" she exclaimed, her enthusiasm palpable. "You simply must come visit my chamber. I live here too!"

Elara chuckled at Lena's excitement, unable to resist the infectious energy radiating from the young girl. "Lead the way," she said with a smile, falling into step beside Lena as they embarked on their journey through the castle.

To Elara's surprise, their path took them to the other side of the castle, a part of the fortress she had never ventured into before. The corridors were dimly lit, the flickering torches casting eerie shadows on the walls. Despite the oppressive atmosphere, Lena's enthusiasm remained undiminished, her steps light and purposeful as she guided Elara through the labyrinthine passages.

As they walked, Elara couldn't shake the feeling of unease that settled over her like a heavy cloak. The air seemed to grow colder with each step they took, and she found herself shivering despite the warmth of her surroundings. But Lena's cheerful chatter provided a comforting distraction, a beacon of light in the darkness that surrounded them.

Finally, they reached Lena's chamber, and Elara's breath caught in her throat at the sight before her. The room was a masterpiece of opulence and extravagance.

As Elara's eyes swept over every corner of the room, taking in the grandeur that surrounded her, a nagging feeling tugged at the edges of her mind. Despite the opulence and extravagance that filled the chamber, it felt strangely empty, devoid of the warmth and homeliness that Elara associated with a lived-in space.

As Lena chattered excitedly, showing off her drawings and sketches, Elara's thoughts drifted back to the starkness of the room. It was as if no one had truly inhabited this space, as if it were merely a facade—a show of wealth and status, with no heart or soul to breathe life into it.

But Lena's enthusiasm was infectious, and Elara pushed aside her reservations, smiling warmly as she admired Lena's artwork. The little girl's sketches were filled with whimsy and imagination, each stroke of the ink capturing a moment of joy or wonder.

"These are amazing, Lena," Elara said, her voice filled with genuine admiration. "You're quite the talented artist."

Lena beamed with pride at the compliment, her eyes shining with happiness. "Thank you, Elara!" she exclaimed, clutching her drawings to her chest as if they were the most precious treasures in the world.

Lena's excitement faltered as the door burst open, and a man strode into the room. His sudden appearance sent a ripple of unease through the chamber, and Elara felt her heart skip a beat as his gaze settled on her.