Chapter 4: Counter Attack

Start from the beginning

***

I stared at the empty space next to me. He hadn't come. I sat up and climbed out of bed. After putting on some clothes, I wandered down the hall to the emperor's room. I knocked and poked my head inside.

No one was in the sitting room. I entered and went to the couch. I laid across it to wait. At some pointed I drifted off again until I heard a door opened. I sprang up, but just saw Eric and Sora exiting the bedroom.

"Tobias didn't come?" asked Sora.

I shook my head. "I guess this isn't a simple thing to fix."

Eric kissed his pet's cheek. "I need to make a few phone calls. Wait with Raja, I'll send someone up with breakfast."

"'kay," he said lowly. He wandered over to the couch across from me. His eyes remained on his master until he left.

"Feeling better today?" I asked.

Sora shook his head. "Why did this have to happen Raja? We've been at peace for so long, why did it have to end now?"

I shrugged. "I just want Tobias to be okay." Laying down, I sighed. "Why couldn't our masters have different jobs?"

A waiter entered with a tray and placed it on the table between us. "If you want anything else, just let us know. Someone will be by to help you get ready for the day shortly, Sora."

He nodded. "'kay."

She left, and we glanced at each other.

"They're acting like nothing happened?" I muttered. "No one wants to get dressed up, after nearly being blown up."

Sora chewed on his lip and ran his hands down his hair. That was probably not the best thing to say. I took off the lid from the tray. Pancakes and orange juice sat underneath. I moved to the ground and sat crossed legged.

"Well, we better eat before they get here." I pushed the other plate toward him.

He slowly knelt on the floor. We ate quickly. Sora didn't eat much, but I finished mine. I was regretting it though as my stomach was feeling uneasy once I was done. Sora's attendants arrived and whisked him away to the bathroom. They were all acting so normal. I had a suspicion that Eric had asked them to act like nothing happened for Sora's sake.

I slipped from the room with no one was watching and returned to my room. Going to the bathroom, I found a brush and combed out my hair. It wasn't laying properly, but I didn't bother trying to fix it. A door opened in the other room.

"Raja?"

My eyes grew wide, and I ran to him. I leaped into Tobias's arm and wrapped my legs around his waist.

"You're safe."

He laughed as he hugged me. "I missed you too."

I leaned back and saw the cut on his cheek. "What happened?"

"Tripped," he assured me, setting me down. "Are you ready to go home?"

I nodded. "You're coming to, right?"

He nodded. "Just for a little awhile."

Bowing my head, I frowned. "Do you find who did it?"

He brushed back my hair and kissed the top of my head. "Let's talk about it at home."

Taking his hand, I walked with the general to the car waiting outside. I kept glancing up him and saw the hardness in his face. He was mad, worried, maybe even anxious, and I couldn't do anything to help him. In this world, I was just a slave, and I doubt we'd ever have that talk he mentioned.