Chapter 7 - Crossroad

Start from the beginning

"I am not that bad at lying. You caught me off guard is all." I cross my arms over my chest but step aside to let Caitlyn in.

"You may enter." Caitlyn gives me a playful smile before elegantly striding into the dimly lit room.

"So, are you okay?" I ask once the door is tightly shut behind me.

"Everything is fine." She replies. "I just thought I would come to see you." She says as she pulls the chair out from the desk and sits down.

"I feel like we haven't gotten much chance to catch up since we got here." Caitlyn's smile is soft. It fills my chest with warmth to know she still cares about our little chit chats.

"Yeah. I guess we haven't." I say while watching Cait make herself comfortable. Also wanting some comfort myself, I make my way over to the bed and sit down. The soft sheets under me combined with Caitlyn's calming aura make me forget how panicked I had been minutes ago.

"What do you want to talk about?" I ask her. She thinks for a second, leaning her elbow on the chair and her face on her fist.

"How is your photography coming along? I follow all of your social media accounts and it seems like you're doing well." It's nice to hear Caitlyn supporting me even if we don't talk all that much anymore.

"It is! I've had a few clients. A few of which referred me to people they know. So business is slowly building. I even have a wedding planned around christmas. Which is both nerve wracking and exciting all at once." As I go on my tangent about all my plans and schemes Caitlyn listens. Asking questions here and there. She even suggested a few people who I should get in touch with to boost my name.

"I knew you would do well." Caitlyn says as I wrap up my long and through chat about work.

"It helps when you have a pretty good friend to support you." I flash Caitlyn a smile and she smiles back and for a moment the room falls into comfortable silence. I break eye contact first as I move into a laying down position. One arm propping my head up.

"What about you? I heard you've been solving cases left right and centre!" Caitlyn laughs as I wiggle my eyebrows at her. Or shall I say I attempt to.

"It's been going really well. Vi has been a big help too." At the mention of Vi's name I suddenly feel as though I'm laying on hot coals. A feeling I try to hide as Caitlyn goes on about the case she's on currently. I grab a blanket from behind me, balling it up to form a pillow-like mound. A mound which conveniently covers the bottom portion of my face.

"I can't share too many details of course." I nod, knowing that her line of work is one of a secret nature.

"But I don't think this was an accident like some are claiming. It all feels too clean. It's too well thought out to be an accident. Vi also agrees with me." Caitlyn mentions Vi again and her image floods my brain. The thought of Vi in her work uniform is not something I should be focusing on right now! Not when one of my closest friends is trying to talk to me.

"She says-" Caitlyn stops when her eyes land on me.

"Are you okay?" She asks knitting her eyebrows together and giving me a once over.

"I'm fine. Carry on." I try to speak normally. As if I wasn't just fantasising about her work partner and friend.

"Okay?" She says, not sounding convinced before continuing.

"Vi says the way the accident happened is near perfectly illustrated." Cailtyn's face turns focused as she falls silent.

"I know you can't say much, but do you think someone wanted the person in the accident dead?" Caitlyn softens her focused look as she peers at me.