Chapter 7 - Crossroad

The sound made me jolt awake and I wasn't sure if I was hearing things in my half sleep stricken state or not. So, I waited to see if it was a real knock or my mind playing tricks on me.

I waited. And waited some more. I waited until my eyes started to flutter closed once again. The sweet serenade of sleep casting a spell over me.

Knock! Knock!

It wasn't my imagination after all! I spring to my feet, dropping my poor book in the process. It hits the floor with a thump. Unable to comprehend my book flying to the floor in my frantic state, I ignore it. Instead making my hasty dash to the door.

As I approach the gorgeously carved wooden door, my mind wanders to who it could be. One person in particular making an appearance front and centre.

"But why would she be here this late?" I think to myself. Scenarios begin to play out in my mind. Scenarios where this near complete stranger simply wanted to get to know me better or return something I had misplaced prior that day. These silly visions all stem from the ridiculously unrealistic romance books and online fiction I've read.

As one scene plays out I'm reminded of something I would rather have not been. "Unless... She wouldn't have figured out I took her picture? Right?" My hand hesitates at the door as my anxiety starts to get the better of me.

"If she asks, simply say she walked into the shot. That's not a lie. Entirely anyway." After making up a pre plan of what to say, I quietly crack open the door enough to see a set of blue eyes. But not the blueish grey ones I'm used to avoiding. No. These eyes are a pure blue. The colour near perfectly matches that of a clear ocean. Caitlyn. Without even knowing, I released a small breath I didn't know I was holding.

"Sorry to bother you so late Y/N." Caitlyn started in an apologetic manner. She sure is living up to her mothers etiquette lessons. "I didn't wake you did I?" She then asks. Her eyes peered through the crack at me.

"Oh no. No, no, nooo." My words are accompanied by a nervous chuckle. "Had that been who my mind wanted it to, I could have been in some serious trouble." I think while rubbing the hand out of Caitlyn's view against my leg.

"Not at all. I was just... reading a book." I sheepishly tell her.

"Is everything okay, Cait?" I ask, not wanting her to dispute whether or not I was reading or falling asleep. At this point I swing the door fully open. Caitlyn raises her left eyebrow as a smidge of asmsment paints its way onto her lips.

"Is that so?" Caitlyn's eyes move past me and land on the novel laying on the ground. Then she moves her gaze back to me.

"Yep" I quickly replied.

"Why is the book on the floor if you were reading it?" She retorts.

"Well, it slipped off the bedside table when I put it there but I didn't want to keep whoever was at the door waiting. So I left it there." I give Caitlyn a closed lip smile in hopes she doesn't press further. She does, however, press further.

"If you didn't want to keep the person at the door waiting, why did I have to knock more than once before you opened the door?" Caitlyn has always been one to get to the bottom of a lie. It is her job after all. What should I expect?

"Alright!" I whisper yell. "I was reading, until I fell asleep." Caitlyn quietly laughs at my confession.

"I had a feeling you were asleep. You are also a terrible liar, Y/N. Your face and body language always gives you away. May I?" She says holding an arm up and gesturing to my room.