Chapter 2 - Icebreaker

"The nighttime air has quite a chill to it." Caitlyn says as she buttons up her coat a little more. I "hm" in response wishing I had bought a thicker jacket or perhaps some gloves to keep the chill away. The wind is making its way through the thin fabric of my jacket with relative ease, much to my dismay. "It's not that cold, is it?"Jayce, the human heater. Of course he'd think it wasn't that cold.

"According to my phone, it's only 7°C." Viktor announces, phone in hand.

"I suppose it's not that cold. My hands feel frozen though." I say blowing warm air into my hands and rubbing them together. "Here, feel." I press my hands to Jayce's arm which gets him to yelp and jump away from me. "Keep those ice blocks away from me!" I look back at Caitlyn and Viktor. Caitlyn chuckles lightly and Viktor has an amused look plastered all over his face.

A mischievous grin appears on my face as I look back at Jayce. "What's wrong Jayce? I thought it wasn't cold?" I raise my hands up in his direction and make grasping motions. Slowly I stalk closer to him as he backs away slightly. "It's not. You must have poor blood circulation." I catch a glimpse of Vi from behind Jayce. Something in her eyes is egging me on. Almost daring me to do something.

"But Jayce." I whine out. "You're a human heater. You should lend that heat to someone more unfortunate than yourself. Like me. Now come here!" I say as I lunge at him. "Y/N!" I hear a shocked Caitlyn say as Jayce barely dodges me. I slip on a patch of wet leaves causing me to lose my footing. Luckily I catch my balance and scowl at Jayce who is now laughing at my failed attempt to freeze him. At least I feel a bit warmer now.

"I think your trajectory was a tad off Y/N." Viktor playfully points out. "Hm, I think you may be right Viktor. There's always next time though. Isn't science all about trial and error?" I ask while straightening out my jacket.

"Yes, it is." Viktor declares with a small laugh following his words. Jayce stops laughing almost immediately when he realises what I just insinuated.

"You should be more careful. I thought I'd have to catch you, again." Vi comments, her voice almost whispering in my ear. Since when was she standing right next to me?!

I feel the hairs on the back of my neck stand on edge; my whole body tenses up as the memories from earlier seep into my mind. I look at where Vi stands only to see her smirking at me. Today I learned one thing. Vi's smirk is going to be the death of me. Pushing away the thoughts from this afternoon, I speak in an attempt to defend myself. "I am careful." Vi's stare makes me feel like a sheep in the presence of a hungry wolf. Whether that's a good or bad thing, I can't decide.

"Careful." Caitlyn lets out a sarcastic laugh. "If this is you being careful I would hate to see you being reckless." Caitlyn's remark makes me snap back to the mischievous state I was in only moments ago. "Be careful what you wish for, Caitlyn dearest." I turn away from the group and start walking again. I hear Caitlyn sigh behind me and smile. She's so easy to wind up.

Lucky for me, no one seems to have clocked onto Vi's comment. No one needs to know about my little... mishap, earlier today. That stays between me and Vi.

We don't have to walk far before finding a small pizza place called Pizza Palace. We head inside and find a suitable table to sit down at. Me and Caitlyn order a margarita pizza to share while Jayce and Vi get the biggest meatiest pizza on the menu. The only thing to shock me about their choice of food is the choice to only get one. Viktor opted for a salad. A much healthier option. A more boring option too if you ask me.

It did not take long for Viktor to start telling us about how many calories we would all be consuming. He specifically pointed out the high amount of calories in Jayce and Vi's pizza. Which then led him to talk about all the poor health effects that eating so much fatty food would have on them.