42. skinny little bitch

Start from the beginning

Dorian would be very angry. Lilith needed to unload her emotions with someone, to express her actions siding with the demons to someone who would dignify to listen to her reasons, and he had said the word unconditionally. He would understand her, as he had with the blood of the yellow-eyed demon. Judas returned her to the room where he took her from. Prayer jumped from her arms and onto the bed, stretching her legs and beginning to knead the pillows. There were no traces of her boyfriend in the room; he was probably having dinner. As she descended the stairs, she thought of the best way to soften her story and the anger he would have. Maybe she could invite him to dinner outside, have a date before dropping the bomb. She would wear a nice dress, and they would walk hand in hand; Dorian loved that. Yes, that's what she would do, it sounded like a good plan.

¡Dorian?" she called out, her voice echoing through the walls and corridors. "Babe!"

She stepped into the hallway, aware of the devastating silence that enveloped her, wrapping her in the suspicion that had arisen since the moment her life had taken a different direction. Within her, there was still the constant worry that the angels would destroy what little she had left. They had tried with her cat; now she took him everywhere, and she was starting to feel like she should do the same with Dorian when she found the body of a maid lying on the floor. Purple magic appeared in her hands. She approached silently, her heart leaping in her chest. The maid, whom she identified as Lois, still had a pulse. What had happened? She continued taking slow steps, tuning her ears to the details. The sound of her shoes against the floor was the only sound. The mansion said nothing, not even a trace of a fight or anything indicating what had happened. The lights were on, and Lilith's magic searched for the culprit. She reached the living room and saw him.

"I was waiting for you," said Uriel, the angel who had killed her mother. "I thought you, apes, were smarter. You still don't understand."

Fury erupted within her. The angel held his silver sword against Dorian's neck. If this were a movie scene, she would have laughed at how unreal it was to see someone as muscular as her boyfriend being threatened by someone as small as Uriel. But it wasn't a movie; it was real life, and Dorian's life was in danger. Her instinctive reaction had been to expose her magic in an attempt to separate them, a futile attempt that would fail because her hands were trembling to kill him, to incinerate him in the same way he had killed her mother. Vengeance formed like a heavy dark cloud obscuring her brown eyes filled with fear, asking where her powerful girlfriend was when he needed her.

Go ahead, kill him if you want," she said, but she didn't take a step forward. "What do you hope to achieve? I know you want to see me fall, rotting in tears. You can't hurt me more than you already have. So go ahead, kill him."

The blade pressed against Dorian's neck, and Lilith's heart quickened its pace. She didn't want him to die, and she wasn't going to let him, but... she had a chance to catch Uriel, and the taste of her vengeance was golden.

"It's a pity that God ordered to keep you alive, I would be the first to kill a whore like you. The offspring of Lilith and Lucifer are the worst abominations in the universe and the stupidest. Wasn't your mother's death enough for you? Maybe you'll understand if I kill your little boyfriend. Do you love him already, don't you? Or are you just using him because you have no one else to love you?"

"Seriously, what does Heaven want me to do?"

"Live with your fucking boyfriend and stop meddling between Heaven and Hell."

"And I'm the stupid one..." she said, letting out an ironic laugh. "Wouldn't it be easier to kill me? You'd save the angel who's been watching me twenty-four hours a day and all this stupid scene. I'm not going to fight for my life if you let me into Heaven. You could make a deal with me, but you still follow God's orders like the chickens you are. God must be very stupid not to order you to KILL me!"