e.

"Has anyone ever told you you're a life saver?" Mindy hands Gale the mascara she had borrowed earlier as they step onto the elevator.

"Yeah, but normally the person doesn't hand me back an empty mascara bottle when they do." Gale snorts.

"It's not that empty. I left a little in there."

"Sure." She stuffs the container in the side pocket of her knapsack.

"Anyway, I'll make it up to you. Dinner on me tonight?  Austin and I were thinking of grabbing some fajitas."

"You sure you wanna do that to your stomach before tomorrow's show?" Gale chuckles.

"My stomach is much stronger than it was last week." The redhead protests as the elevator stops.  "Anyway, I'll text you later with the deets."

"Okay, see y..." Her words disintegrate in her throat as the doors open revealing Calum alongside Ashton. She shifts uncomfortably. Why was she nervous? He never made her nervous. Yet somehow the sliver of amusement on the tan boy's face, makes her insides feel like jelly. To add insult to injury, he places himself right next to her; despite their being plenty of room.

"Hey."

She looks up at him. "Hi." And for a beat, she forgets the hazel-eyed boy was even there. "Oh, uh, how are you, Ashton?"

"Hungry and sleep deprived." He jokes.

"I hear that." She chuckles.

The elevator door opens again, and another group of tour members swarm in, which unintentionally squishes Gale into Calun.

Not that he was complaining.

He steadies her; resting his hand on the small of her back. But even after, he doesn't move his hand. Instead, he ups the ante. Her body goes still as she feels the warmth of his fingertips: the cold metal of his rings on her exposed skin. The simple act gives her goosebumps. Instinctively, she leans into his touch. His fingers then move to gently graze her crescent moon tattoo. He knew its exact placement. Her eyes close at his touch. It was crazy how much of an effect he had on her.

She hated it. Hated how she craved him. Hated the feeling in her gut when someone called his name.  Or the way breathing got hard when he so much as glanced at her. Or the way her heart sped up when he kissed her. She hated it. She hated it.

No. She loved it.

As the door pings open, her body is met with the chill air as he drops his hand. Without as much as a second glance, he leaves the elevator with the rest of the crowd. As he's walking, he feels his phone vibrate. The corners of his lips turn up as he sees the message.

Gale: game on.

• • •

"What if we add Don't Stop to the setlist?" Michael jokes, as the foursome wrap up their soundcheck. "It's a fan favorite. It's only right."

"You'll be singing it by yourself, mate." Luke scoffs.

"What's up with the Don't Stop slander?"

"Don't Stop slander is valid." Calum confirms.

"Of course you'd say that." Ashton nods. "By the way, I saw Brandy's story. You're looking like boyfriend of the year, aren't ya?"

"What are you talking about?" The tan boy asks confused.

"The flowers, that you sent to her? She put it on her Instagram story."

Though still confused, Calum whips out his phone; quickly, opening Instagram and scrolling to the girl's story. And indeed, there was a picture of a vase of carnations, alongside a note that said: was thinking of you today. Brandy's caption read; best boyfriend ever @calumhood.

"Unless Ben did you a solid and sent her the flowers, so you actually look like good boyfriend." Michael jokes, noticing the confused look on his friend's face.

"I genuinely don't remember asking Ben to send these."

"So, who else would?"

And like some lightbulb straight out of a cartoon, realization dawns on Calum's face. She wouldn't. He thinks to himself.  He scrolls to his messages; quickly typing.

Calum: rooftop now.

"I'll see you guys later. I've gotta... do something." He doesn't wait for their response as he makes a beeline towards the roof. His steps are quick and heavy.  As he pushes the door open, he sees her already there, standing expectantly. Last time he checked, she was on the other end of the building.

She was waiting on him. And somehow that realization fires him up more.

"So, why'd you summoned me?" She jokes. And the look on her face says she knows exactly why he called her.

He stands there wordlessly for a moment, before nodding his head. "You think you're clever, don't you?"

"I mean, not to brag or anything, but...yeah I actually do." And when he doesn't respond, she shifts under his gaze. "What?"

"You're really going to act like you did nothing?"

"What did I do?" And her tone is not convincing at all.

"Gale."

"Calum."

He takes a step towards her, and she takes one back. "Last chance, Gale."

And after a beat, she says. "Don't start things you can't finish."

His tongue goes to his cheek. "So, it was you?"

"Next time don't confide in me about your fake girlfriend during pillow talk."

He clenches his jaw. "That's not fair."

"Fair?" She snorts. "I'm guessing you forgot about the elevator yesterday?" She jogs his memory. "Did you really think I'd let you get away with that?"

"That was different."

"No, it wasn't. Just admit that I bested you, babe. I win, you lose."

And the pet name isn't lost on him. It makes something inside of him all warm. However, he does not like the smugness in her voice. "Oh really?"

"Yes, really." She confirms.

He closes in on her. This time she doesn't take a step back, so they're practically chest to chest. "And what's to stop me from taking you to the green room right now and making out with you?"

"You mean the green room that's empty right now?" She teases. "Yawn. Doesn't sound like much of a challen—."

"With the door open."

And he's proud when the grin on her face falters. The green room was already risky. Practically everyone walked past it, including his band mates. But having the door open? She'd be lying if she said that didn't scare her a little.

But she was the daughter of Seargent Lance Waters. One thing her dad had taught her, was to never back down: no matter how hard the challenge. Or in her case, how attractive the opponent. So, she regains her composure and looks him square in the eyes before saying. "You don't have the balls."

And that's all it takes for him to grab her hand, pulling them towards the door. He lets her go first and is close on her heels as they head for green room. Just as Gale had stated, it was empty. He clicks on the lights and pulls her into his dressing room; practically clearing the items off of his vanity table and lifting her on to it in one swift motion. He presses his lips onto hers and her body practically goes limp; the mirror behind her keeping her up.

True to his word, the door remains open. There are a few voices that come and go. In spite of that, he doesn't move a muscle.

"Still don't think I have the balls?" He challenges.

Heart racing, and pupils dilated, she breathes out heavily. "You're insane."