Chapter 42: "Please, just stay."

Ξεκινήστε από την αρχή

"Yes he is, I saw his old man heat some tea," Jet said confidently.

I scoffed to conceal the pit growing in my stomach. "They work at a tea shop."

"That's not it," Jet said firmly.

I shook my head, "Is this some kind of form of jealousy? Drop it."

"You're in danger if you hang around him," Jet urged, looking actually concerned.

"I've been around Fire Nation before, you know. Regardless, he isn't," I replied sternly as the butcher reappeared and passed me the possum chicken. I handed him a few silver coins and thanked him. "Bye, Jet," I said dismissively, leaving through the door.

"Come on, at least let me catch your name," he pleaded.

I rolled my eyes but finally gave in, "It's Laina, and don't wear it out."

"That's a pretty name, Laina," He smiled from the doorway.

"What did I just say?" I snapped back.

"Right," He put a finger to his lips.

I scoffed and turned around, stuffing my chicken-possum into my bag. I really wasn't going to dawdle; I wasn't so cruel as to starve the always-hungry Sokka. I still took a route I preferred, even if it meant it not being the fastest way home.

An alleyway, quiet and underused, was brightly shining with light. I stopped to see lanterns in its square, flooding the walls of people's homes with yellow colour. It was a fountain I had stopped by sometimes, but I had never been there at night. I didn't know it was so beautiful. My curiosity took hold of me, and I started down the alleyway, the fountain still obscured from my vision.

I stopped when I heard voices coming from around the corner. I poked my head around to see two figures. A girl and a boy. A girl from the tea shop and a boy with a scar on the right side of his face. The girl from the tea shop?! I cursed myself for trying to downplay my instinctive scepticism.

I listened to their conversation as they stood facing the fountain. "I've brought you something. It's a coupon for a free cup of tea," Zuko said, passing her a coupon. I didn't get any free tea.

"Lee, this is so sweet," the girl replied, taking the coupon graciously.

"Don't thank me - it was my uncle's idea. He thinks you're our most valuable customer," Zuko said humbly. Yes, thank goodness it was Iroh's idea.

"Your uncle is a good teacher," she took a few steps towards Zuko. "I have something for you too. Now it's your turn to close your eyes." Why had she closed her eyes before? My breathing hitched as she drew in closer. I was creating cracks in the wall for how hard I was digging in with my fingers.

He closed his eyes.

She drew herself close and kissed him. Only for a moment.

Just don't kiss her back.

Milliseconds felt like minutes as I waited.

He drew in and kissed her.

That was all I could stomach before I had to turn away. Gosh, I felt stupid. My ears grew hot as tears welled in my eyes. I was just a stupid girl. Zuko had not liked me in the way I thought he had. He just saw me as a friend. Like my betrayal was anything attractive anyway. I bit down harshly on my lip to stop crying, but tears just kept on coming.

The sting of love, is that what it was? Well, it was hardly a sting, more like a fireball to the face. I wiped at my eyes in a constant manner. Just get home, was what I thought. Cook dinner, then you can cry.