chapter thirty seven.

Start from the beginning

As Mieke walked toward the school, she heard her mother's voice calling out behind her. "I love you, 9th grade Mieke Dalton!" Mieke's jaw dropped, and she turned around, her eyes widening and Cyrinna laughed at her reaction.

"9th grade Mieke Dalton that has biology next period!" Cyrinna's voice rang out, but Mieke just rolled her eyes and ignored her quickly walking to the office door. Reaching the door, Mieke pressed the buzzer and the office lady pressed the button and Mieke pulled the door open.

"Look who's late again." Miss Jackson, the office lady, remarked as Mieke entered the office.

"Hey Miss Jackson, You missed me?" Mieke asked with a smile as she approached the desk.

"Yes, I missed you." Miss Jackson replied, rolling her eyes with a smile. "I was wondering why I haven't been seeing you. Why you ain't been here and why are you late today, again? Like always?"

"I was out of town and it's not even my fault."

Miss Jackson raised an eyebrow. "Then whose fault is it?" she asked, looking up from a file.

"It's my bed's fault. It's way too comfortable."

Miss Jackson shook her head. "It's never your fault when it comes to being late to school." She grabbed a pass and asked, "You're supposed to be in Miss Tate's class right now right?" And Mieke nodded. "See, you're always coming in around this time. I know exactly who your teacher is."

Mieke chuckled and Miss Jackson began writing out her pass while Mieke just stood there, looking around the office when her eyes landed on 15 year old Keanu walking into the office, engrossed in something on his phone and Mieke quickly looked away when he looked up.

Miss Jackson tapped the pen on the desk. "This pen doesn't work." she muttered, then glanced up and noticed Keanu. "Keanu, boy, go to class."

Keanu walked up to the desk and stood beside Mieke, but there was still some distance between them. "Why do you want me to go to class so bad?"

"Because you need to go learn." Miss Jackson grabbed another pen and wrote a scribble on a scrap of paper to ensure it worked.

"What they're teaching me here ain't gon' help me out with anything at all in the real life."

Literally. Mieke agreed in her thoughts.

Miss Jackson signed Mieke's pass, chuckling. "I can't even say anything because I haven't used y =mc^2 once since I graduated highschool."

Keanu chuckled, "That ain't even the formula."

Miss Jackson looked at Mieke, raising an eyebrow. "That ain't?" And Mieke shook her head, and Miss Jackson shrugged. "See, haven't used it in so long that I can't even remember the formula." She held out the pass to Mieke. "Bye, pretty girl. Have a good day. Don't be late again."

Mieke took the pass. "Thank you, I will try."

"This is like your 38th time saying that."

Mieke smirked. "And tomorrow might be my 39th." She turned around, to head to class.

Keanu chuckled and Miss Jackson shook her head with a smile. "You're funny. Go to class."