The Implorer

Elenor's POV:

I awoke with a stiff neck as daylight shone through the curtains. Jake lay on me in the same position all night, softly snoring on my chest with his arm firmly wrapped around my rib cage. I brushed back the layers of hair that had fallen over his eye, sweetly looking down at him as he slept. His features were soft and relaxed, his eyes still under his lids. He was in a deep sleep, and I would let him lie there for as long as he needed.

"Good morning, gentlemen!" I heard from outside, making me stiffen in place. Voices and footsteps sounded outside the cottage door, ready to come inside. I hastily squeezed out of Jake's grasp and jumped out of the bed while fixing his arm over a bundle of blankets to avoid disturbing him. I quickly flattened my wrinkled clothes as the door creaked open, revealing a small older man with a large basket in hand. "Who are you?" He asked loudly in surprise, looking me up and down. I quickly glanced at Jake, fearful that he had woken him, only to see him drooling lazily on the pillow.

"I'm, um–" I said, trying to think fast. "I have a letter of passage. I'm here to take care of the prisoner." I pointed at Jake, and he snored loudly on cue. The old man looked at me with squinty eyes and a scrunched nose, trying to understand.

"Oh, a nursemaid," he snorted. "I wasn't informed."

"I have a letter," I said, pulling the now-crinkled document from my pocket.

"No need for that, dear," the man waved off. "I won't complain. I don't want to be here anyway. He's a weird fellow," he proposed. "Had a nervous breakdown last night and almost hyperventilated to death. All this man needs is some rest and food. He's not sick. He doesn't need a doctor. A nursemaid is better suited." I sighed in relief at his dismissal and hoped he wouldn't stay long. "What hospital are you from?" He suddenly asked, keeping me in check.

"No hospital," I said cautiously. "I'm from the house of the Governor." The man scrunched his nose again at my words, looking over his tiny spectacles.

"Strange," he said in an annoyed tone. "But whatever! I've brought food, do you think you can prepare it for him? I'll be on my way then."

"Yes, thank you," I said quickly, but not quick enough. When the doctor finished his last sentence, he was gone out of the door. I sighed heavily, wiping the tiredness from my eyes, and opened the food basket. Egg soufflé, milk, cured sausage, apples, a loaf of bread lay in it, and a jar of fruit preserves. Small plates and silverware were wrapped neatly in a soft cloth underneath the food, protecting the porcelain from the bumpy journey. I excitedly took out each item, ready to prepare the food. I placed a slice of the egg dish on a plate to start. Careful to remain quiet, I cut slices from the loaf, spread the preserves over them, and then placed them next to the eggs. Pulling the sausage next, discs were cut from it, filling the rest of the small plate.

Rustling came from the bed, and I glanced over to see Jake roll onto his back. He let out a deep sigh, then slowly blinked his eyes open, staring at the ceiling. They immediately shut as he furrowed his eyebrows and pinched the bridge of his nose with his thumb and index finger. He then covered his face with both hands and let out a distressed groan.

"Jake," I called out to him, and immediately he looked at me with wide eyes.

"I didn't think you were here," he said wearily. He sat up on his elbows, then wiped the sleep from his eyes with one hand, dragging it down to rest on his chest. "My heart is beating so fast," he said honestly.

"I'm sorry; I didn't mean to scare you," I laughed, picking up the plate and silverware and walking over to him. "I told you I would be here."

"I know," he sighed as he lay back down, "I just didn't think you would stay." As I approached closer, he briefly rubbed his forehead, then gazed at me with his chest heaving and his breath shaky. I sat beside him on the bed, placing my free hand on his chest and leaning down to kiss his forehead. He grasped my hand as I did so, and I could feel his heart ramming against his chest erratically. As I pulled away, his dark eyes, looking around the room before landing on mine, were fearful. I suddenly remembered what the doctor had said about a nervous breakdown and realized I had most likely walked into it last night.