All My Love

Jake's POV:

"We're running out of time," I sighed, turning to Sam in defeat. I looked over my shoulder at the man with the thick mustache and green turban, captaining the ship. His eyes were focused on the sea, confident in his plans. The man with the spectacles stood next to him, glaring down at us suspiciously. Two days were up, with the last day shortly coming to a close. Sam shook his head, unwilling to accept failure.

"They didn't give us enough time," he complained, "We've come this far, they've got to give us more time."

"Save your strength, boy," I warned, "prepare yourself for the possibility of meeting your maker." I held my ribs, wound tightly with bandages, cursing at the uselessness of this journey.

"Wait, LOOK THERE," Sam shouted, squinting and pointing out at the sea. A small speck disrupted the flat horizon of blue. I pulled out my spyglass and extended it fully, placing my eye on the end. Sure enough, the blackened sails of The Funeral of Innocence stood high and far, sailing in open waters. My stomach flipped with both excitement and fear. We had found her.

"SAIL, HO," I shouted, my voice booming above all other noises. The man with the spectacles shuffled in his place, translating to the man with the green turban. He raised his spyglass and nodded, confirming her position. Sam clapped me on the shoulder in excitement, a wide grin across his face.

"You found her, you old seadog," he congratulated. I patted and squeezed his ample shoulder, smiling back at him.

"All with your help, mate," I responded, "Fetch your sword and put it on. Use it as we practiced," I ordered, hopeful that his skill had improved over the course of the three days.

"Aye, Captain," he cheerfully said, running down to the bunks.

We soon caught up to The Funeral of Innocence, enough to see the crew of Dan Deranged scrambling on board. We had caught them by surprise. Our sister ship was farther behind us but would catch up just in time for the capture. The Barbarossa brother commanding The Sparrow of the Dawn ordered his crew to fire, and a shot ran close to the ship but fell into the water nearby. My eyes caught sight of Dan Deranged and I held them there, his demonic presence never leaving my field of vision. The Funeral of Innocence shot a cannon in return, hitting the belly of The Sparrow of the Dawn. Shots were fired back and forth until we were close enough to board. Barbary pirates began swinging to the dark ship, their cutlasses instantly chopping at the bodies that dared to cross them. They were ruthless, instantly taking any life that had passed by them. Metal clashed against metal and muskets were fired, the sounds thundering through the open air, drowning out the sounds of the sea. I watched as Dan Deranged slew the men with ease, never blinking or losing focus. Unsheathing my sword, I grabbed ahold of a rope and swung over, meeting and slaying a man I once knew. I cleaved him to the brisket, skillfully cutting from his shoulder down to his stomach. Stabbing left and right, I sliced men down with ease, making a way to reach Dan Deranged. I climbed the steps of the upper deck, watching as he slew another Barbary pirate. As soon as the man fell I met his cold eyes, my body fuming at the sight of him.

"Impossible," he gasped, his eyes growing wide in shock, "You are dead." I met my sword with his, trying to control my anger. Any anger spilling over would cause blindness and weaken my advantage. "You are dead," he screamed, haunted by the sight of me, "I will KILL YOU!"

"You wouldn't kill me again if you had another chance, you son of a bitch," I mocked, mimicking his words from the last time we met. I trampled forward, hitting my sword against his, then slicing at his thigh. He screamed out in pain, drawing back before swinging his sword at mine again. We danced on the deck, initiating and blocking blows, adrenaline pumping through our swollen veins. I tried to remain steady by keeping my form, watching as the eyes of Dan Deranged became filled with pain and fear. His jabs became sloppy and desperate, easily blockable and weak. He brought his sword over his head, aggressively swinging it through to try and cut me. I meticulously sliced at his wrist in response, hitting it clean to the bone. He instantly dropped his weapon and I charged forward, pushing at his chest with my forearm and bringing my sword to his neck. He breathed heavily under the pressure of my arm, staring into my eyes with utter panic.