Hail, the Savior

Elenor's POV:

As soon as we turned down the hall, Sam caught my eye. He rubbed his cheek in thought as he stared at the door. A group of men stood in front of it, patiently waiting. I let go of Jake's arm and quickly walked up to him, anticipation growing. "What's going on?" I asked him, hoping we were on better terms. Sam looked at me and then looked behind me at Jake, who slowly approached.

"They're negotiating," he whispered, pointing at the door with his thumb. I looked back at Jake, an apprehensive look on his face. He inhaled deeply and exhaled, obviously stressed at the situation. Sam sighed along with him, matching his energy. Negotiations aside, this was the moment I had been longing for. Anxiety and excitement flooded through me, wishing to be closer to my father each second. All of this would end and I would soon be secure under my father's wing. The door suddenly opened and a cluster of men pooled out. Not wasting a second, I slipped through the door as soon as I could, my nose starting to burn as I held back tears.

My father stood in the middle of the room behind his desk holding papers. He immediately dropped them at the sight of me, his eyes going wide in shock. "Elenor," he cried, reaching his arms out to me. I ran to him, unable to hold back tears of relief any longer. He embraced me with his long arms, pulling me into his safety. "Oh my Nora," he cooed. "I thought I had lost you." I looked up at him, happy to be in his presence. I smiled wide at him, seeing the care behind his eyes. He looked past me towards the door, immediately grinning. "Sam," he spoke in relief.

"Your Excellency," Sam said with a bow, keeping formality.

"We escaped the Isles, Father. It took us long, but we're here," I said, another tear of relief spilling from my eye. He held me tightly, disbelief in our presence.

"But how, child? I received word that everything was destroyed. Nothing is left, all killed and burnt up in flames." He pulled me from him, looking into my eyes, expecting a proper response. "Oh, look at you," he said in distaste, looking at my attire. I briefly swiped my hair out of my face and returned my hands to around his waist.

"A man brought us here, Father. Sam was able to find him," I let out. "He's through the door."

"Well send him in," he spoke boldly, ready to meet my rescuer. An officer opened the door, gesturing for Jake to come inside. He was hidden from our sight, just standing outside of the door.

"Captain?" I called to him, excited for him to meet with my father once again. He slowly appeared, walking cautiously through the door. He nodded to Sam who stood beside the door, then glanced at me. He looked tired and worrisome, his disheveled appearance unexpected compared to the joy I was feeling. He silently looked to my father and bowed, his weapons slightly clanking against each other. As he rose his face became blank, unreadable, and unresponsive. I felt my father's breathing increase, his hold on me becoming tighter.

"Seize him," he called out loudly, and immediately guards were at Jake's sides, pulling his arms behind his back. My heart immediately sank as he obediently let them shackle his wrists. His eyes bore into me blankly, his face slightly going pale.

"Father, no," I cried, turning to him. "You must listen to him. You must negotiate. He saved me."

"I have negotiated enough for today," he said boldly, dismissing my request. I pulled away from him, shocked at his words. "And I will not have you stand here in the presence of all these men, practically naked," he stressed bitterly, his eye slightly twitching. I looked back to Jake as they pulled him away. Only then did he resist slightly, trying to keep his eyes on me.

"You are safe, that's all that matters," Jake spoke firmly as they pulled him out to the hall. "It's all I care about," he yelled, out of our sight.

"Father," I pleaded, trying to get him to understand. He kept his eyes from me, looking back down at the papers on the desk.

"Sam, take her to the manor. Make sure the maids have her washed and dressed properly," he spoke intensely, obviously upset. Sam came to my side and pulled me away from him, guiding me to the door. "And Sam—" he started, making us turn to look at him. "We will discuss your part in this later," he finished, his jaw clenching.

"Yes, Your Excellency," Sam replied, not wanting to anger him any longer. He quickly pulled me out of the room, and eventually out of the building. Too upset to speak, my mind raced as we entered a carriage, on our way back to the place I once called home. I could feel Sam's eyes on me as we sat. I put my hand over my mouth as I looked out of the window, watching people zip by.

"Where are they taking him?" I asked, fully facing him, searching for an answer.

"Most likely the gaol, possibly awaiting a trial," he said straightforwardly. "If your father is generous." I looked at him with pain, not wanting to entertain the possibility of Jake's life in jeopardy.

"How far is it from the manor?" I asked, hoping I could see him.

"Elenor, you can't go to him," he scoffed. "This is the end of our journey. What were you expecting to happen?"

"I will not let it be the end," I spoke back in contempt. "I need to speak with my father. You do not understand, Sam. He is—" I choked, trying to hold back my emotion. "He is the one that saved me. I can't let him down now." Sam looked at me with disbelief, a coldness in his stare.

"You're turning away from what is right, what is just," he spoke carefully, emphasizing the dilemma. "He's a pirate."

"Then may God in heaven strike me down for believing this is unjust," I yelled at him. "There has to be another way. I did not come this far for it to end up this way." He turned away, no longer able to look at me or wanting to argue. We sat in silence until the carriage stopped, the tension raw and heavy. Sam left the carriage first, then silently offered his hand to help me out. I climbed out of the carriage and promptly walked forward, ready to get all of this over with. We walked through the halls of the manor, each painting and pattern strangely familiar. I had not been here in years, causing a sense of uneasiness. Women happily greeted me, pulling me away from Sam and up a staircase. I looked down at him as we went up, his face sullen and eyes dark.

The ladies merrily pulled me to a washing room with a large tub and floor-length mirror by the wall. They stripped me of my clothing, making disgusted faces at the dirty fabric. "Don't throw them away," I pleaded. "Wash them for me." They looked at me in confusion, but followed my command and threw them in a pile of laundry. I couldn't bear the thought of losing them, especially if Jake's life was at risk. I needed something of his to give me hope.

I stared at my naked body in the floor-length mirror, my frame thin and riddled with bruises. Some I had no recollection of acquiring, but I brushed my fingers over the ones across my neck and chest, remembering exactly where they had come from. Deep in thought with memories of him, I absentmindedly let the ladies guide me into the tub and scrub away the debris and trauma from my body. They sang sweet hymns as they sponged my skin, their voices echoing in my skull. I relaxed into the warm water as they drenched my hair, letting my ears under the bath, causing it to muffle out the noise. I breathed deeply, trying to hash out a plan. My body betrayed me, I suddenly fell tired as it was washed clean. My muscles were sore, and my head suddenly became fuzzy. The women then wrapped me in towels to keep me warm, and I tried to shake the sudden tiredness that came over me.

They led me to a large wardrobe and opened it, revealing racks of dresses, undergarments, and heels. I cringed at the sight of them, now being used to linen shirts, trousers, and bare feet. They pulled out what was needed, and properly dressed me, making sure each piece of lace and button were in order. They sat me down in front of the mirror and messed with my hair, first brushing it with soft bristles, then putting it up with pins. I stared at myself in the mirror, not recognizing the woman who sat there. I looked tired and worn, my under eyes permanently red from lack of sleep and crying. They powdered my neck and chest, hiding the evidence of my love. They tried to powder my face but I shooed them away, not wanting them to fuss over me any longer.

Now looking like a woman again, I made myself stand up tall, trying to conjure a convincing confidence. I swiftly walked down the stairs and to the front doors, walking out of them and ordering a carriage. "To the gaol," I told the driver, and he immediately urged the horses forward. This was not the end of our journey. I would not let it happen.