Deceiver

Jake's POV:

"Belay that," I spat, exhaling sharply. "We both know exactly why we're in here," I said bitterly, earning a scoff from the other side of the room.

"I know why I'm in here, but what about you, O Captain, my Captain?" He sneered, mocking me. I shuffled myself to the back wall, leaning against the stone. My lungs huffed under my chest, pain searing throughout my abdomen. I had a clear sight of Dan Deranged through the lattice bars, his eyes piercing mine with thrill, awaiting my response. I knew exactly what kind of reaction he was looking for, but I was determined not to give it to him.

"I take full responsibility for my actions, Dan. What I have done in my life was wrong, and running has only made it worse." His expression turned from amusement to pure hatred, his brows scowling heavily and his mouth in a permanent frown.

"Pathetic, worthless piece of shit," he spat. "Taking responsibility for your actions does not undo the damage you have done. You have betrayed so many men, leaving them to starve and beg like dogs. You abandoned us just like the Governor. All you did was kiss his ass, and we were left to fend for ourselves. Now we're set for the gallows because of your lack of duty." His words were rough and full of resentment, yet still laced with misunderstanding.

"Dan," I started slowly, catching him off guard, "a deal was in the works. If you had waited a few more days all would have been settled. Each man would've been granted a place of rest as well as provisions, until their last days. We would've been set for life." He glared at me in disbelief, his eyes still bleeding with hatred. We sat in a moment of silence as he wrestled with the thought.

"I regret nothing, and all I hear are excuses," he finally said. "The Governor got what he deserved. You will get what you deserve." I looked at him calmly, expecting no less of a response. He was gone from his mind, a blackened soul through and through. "I killed off your men one by one with my own hands, with pleasure," he continued. "Their blood covered the deck of The Funeral of Innocence, bathing the vessel in their sin." I shuddered at the thought, trying to shake away the image of my crew slaughtered at his hands. "You coward," he spat bitterly, "you say you take responsibility but cannot fathom the fact that you have also betrayed your mockery of a crew. You are a vile creature of filth, a worthless, bilge-sucking dog." Thoughts of them ran through my head as he spoke. Some truth rang in his words. Inevitably, I did bring them to their deaths. He began laughing at me, satisfied that he had gotten into my head. I turned away from him and dropped my head low, desperately trying to shake my thoughts. Anxiety filled my veins as I began to panic, the full weight of my actions pressing into me. "Betrayer," Dan whispered under his breath. I could feel his eyes on me, burning into the side of my skull. "Leaver," he whispered again. I spiraled deeper into my thoughts, my chest feeling heavy with guilt. "Deceiver," he snarled, hitting his chains loudly against the bars, causing me to jump. He laughed once more, then suddenly fell silent. My ears rang in my head as I spiraled further. All I could see was darkness, even though my eyes were open. My chest was weighted, and it felt like I was carrying fifty extra pounds over my shoulders. My breathing was slow and shallow as thoughts kept running through my head. My heart was pained and beat roughly against my chest. The feelings of guilt were familiar, things I had once held onto before this journey back to England.

A soft rattle sounded in the distance, as well as footsteps and quiet voices. My hearing still muffled from my thoughts, I kept my attention on my bound wrists, the heavy chains a reminder of my inevitable situation. A figure approached my cell, catching my attention. I slowly raised my eyes to look, only to be knocked out of my delusion. A woman stood there with a proper dress, lined with gold trim and lace embroidery. Crystal embellishments on the fabric flickered reflections of light, opening my eyes more. Her figure was alluring, but I was drawn to her soft gaze, the familiarity of it sending a wave of comfort through the darkness. "Elenor," I breathed out, my heart starting to race.