"So, how did I do?" she asked after they had cleaned up and removed their overalls.

"Perfect, I think we should form a permanent partnership," he said, ruffling her head gently. "But you'll need a better name than The Stick."

"Yes, wicked," she cheered jumping slightly in her euphoria. "How do I get a name? Will you choose it or does the gang vote?"

"It depends really. Vincent gave me my name, but sometimes, it just kind of sticks, who knows how. Like Thomas', for example. I take it you know his codename."

Yes. Thomas, The Reaper, she thought before offering a nod as a nonchalant acknowledgment yet, beneath the surface, a curiosity simmered; ultimately, why hadn't Vincent chosen Thomas' codename as he had chosen Geoffrey's, and could she consider the sentiment as more extreme being that it had bestowed upon him by an outsider.

What kind of name was The Reaper anyway?

The name itself provoked a mental image that she instinctively pushed aside, not wanting to let her thoughts wander into the realm of speculation no matter how much it intrigued her. The Reaper – a figure associated with death and darkness which, despite his calm silence, somehow fit Thomas perfectly.

"Anything you'd like to do before we head back?" Geoffrey asked. "I think you deserve a treat for having completed your first mission so well."

"I'm good," she said proudly. "Getting my codename will be treat enough."

"A true professional," Geoffrey laughed. "I like that!"

Alexis felt her cheeks warm as Geoffrey complimented her yet again. Bar Vincent, whom she adored completely, Geoffrey was her favourite of the Blackthorn men, and the one she enjoyed spending time with the most.

"I'll speak to Vincent as soon as we're back," Geoffrey added. "Maybe we can get your codename sorted in time for your party."

"That's in three days' time," Alexis complained. "Why so long?"

"Unless you really want a name like 'The Stick'. I think three days is perfect."

Alexis let out a discontented sigh but refrained from pushing the subject. If she had to wait three days, that was a small price to pay for getting a codename and, she hoped, finally being recognised as a full member of Blackthorn.

* * *

"Are you really not going to wear one of the dresses I bought you?" Vincent asked as they prepared to leave for Alexis' birthday party.

She was wearing a special cut lilac suit, similar to the others she'd had made but more prestige seen as it was a birthday party.

"Blackthorn men don't wear dresses," she said, checking herself out in the mirror.

"You're right, but surely The Blackthorn Princess should, no?"

Alexis scrunched her nose at the codename.

They'd decided on it earlier than suggested, unanimously agreeing that since she was known to them all as 'princess', she should be their official princess. Though not the ideal codename and somewhat lazy of them to simply convert her nickname into a gang name, it did offer her a sense of authority within the gang.

Alexis looked back over at the dresses hanging on the rack and let out a small sigh. If Vincent really wanted her to wear a dress, of course she would – regardless of how much she hated them!

"Could you choose one for me then, please?" she asked, begrudgingly.

"What's your gripe with dresses?" Vincent asked, tilting his head to catch Alexis' gaze. "I always buy the most fashionable ones."