The Avatar Returns (Part 2)

~Jinhai POV~

Soon after confronting Zuko and being tended by Katara, Gran-Gran wanted me to talk to her alone.

Jinhai: Gran Gran, thank you for standing up for me. I guess I owe you an explanation.

Gran Gran: You don't owe me anything. It was the best I can do. There's also a reason I wanted to talk to you in private.

I was silent because of what just happened out there before Zuko and his goons left, and it made me a bit uncomfortable for me to talk about it.

Gran Gran: Listen, I know that your mother dying is traumatic, but you have to understand that this isn't all about you. It's about everyone else.

Jinhai: I know that.

Gran Gran: I saw how you're loved by everyone, including my granddaughter Katara. Are you two...?

Jinhai: Oh no. We just like hanging out together. We're friends, but no. Nothing like that at all.

Gran Gran: Please forgive me. I was just curious. If you don't want this, then I understand. At least take it in case you change your mind, or if you deem someone else worthy, give it to them, it'll only make me happy.

She showed me the necklace she had for a while and I was a bit surprised.

Jinhai: I'll only take it because you want me to take it and you're like a grandmother to me. I appreciate what you've done for me for the past three years. I'll never take it for granted.

We hugged an emotional hug as I was on the brink of tears. We had to separate as I went over to my tent to pack some clothes I put into a basket and went to Katara and Sokka who were packing up stuff for saving Aang.

~Katara POV~

I heard footsteps and I saw that Jinhai walking towards us. I had to hug him ask him why he'd hid all of that from us.

Kat: I just have a question to ask you.

Jinhai: Ask away.

Kat: Why'd you hide all of that?

Jinhai: I'm afraid that's a question for another time, Kat. It'd have to wait until then.

Kat: Okay then. I'll trust you on that.

He helped us find Appa and get ready to help Aang escape.

While on Appa in the water, Sokka, myself, and Jinhai were a bit angry about him not being in the air. After a bit, Appa finally got into the air and we found Aang being flown off the boat!

Kat: AANG! Jinhai, go down there and fight them as we figure out what to do!

Jinhai: Um, you might wanna take a look at this, guys?

We saw a white glow in the water and what came out was a huge water ball, wiping out every Fire Nation soldier and Zuko. When the water spilled all over the place, Aang collapsed and we ran to him.

Kat: Aang!

Jinhai: Aang!

Sokka: Are you okay?

Aang: I'm fine. I dropped my staff.

~Jinhai POV~

I went over to pick up Aang's staff, and Zuko grabbed my hand. I grabbed my sword and cut his hand, causing him to scream in pain as he fell, but held on again from a rope.

Jinhai: Touch me again and I'll cut them off for real!

We were about to head out until Katara accidentally freezes Sokka's feet! That made me laugh so hard, but Kat quickly turned around and froze the soldiers instead and we left before they got to us.

At the last minute, they were firing a fireball at us. Before it could hit us, Aang used his airbending skills to deflect it and sent it back to the iceberg surrounding them, causing them to be covered in snow.

While we were in the air, it was time to ask Aang why he was the Avatar. He never wanted to be because he didn't want the job. Who can blame Aang for not wanting it?

Sokka: Now it's Jinhai's turn. Why didn't you tell any of us you used to be with the Fire Nation?

Jinhai: Because I was afraid, guys. I was afraid that you wouldn't accept me into the Tribe. I was afraid you would find out and kick me out. And guys, I was afraid that if you would find out and beat me out of spite.

They seemed to understand where I was coming from, but so far, Sokka kept quiet and didn't speak out of turn, which I can appreciate.

Jinhai: Not only that, I was afraid you wouldn't wanna be my friends anymore. I didn't want that to break. I'm telling you, the Fire Nation killed what was near and dear to me, and I will never have a chance to say "I love you" to my mom ever again.

Kat: I'm so sorry to hear that, Jinhai. You not being able to say "I love you" to your mom again is truly heartbreaking. Jinhai, if you ever need anything, I want you to come to us. Okay?

Kat hugged me and I can't thank her enough. She was like a sister I never had and for her to be there for support was heartwarming to me.

Sokka: Then I'm sorry, too. I can act like a jerk half the time and I never knew how dark it was.

Jinhai: I appreciate it, Sokka, because I know that I deserve credit after all the things I've done for you guys. You took it for granted, so why do you think I made you an enemy?

Sokka: I get it.

Aang: Is it okay if we get to the business at hand?

Jinhai: Yeah, let's do it.

Aang then pulled out a map and laid it out for us. I was looking forward to what this adventure is gonna be. If I get to knock some firebending heads along the way, I'm all for it.

I'm willing to fight for my mom and hopefully we get to make it happen.