Chapter 26 - Alpha's Decision - Part 2

Tobias let out a low gasp, and when I opened my eyes, I found his lips tightly closed, trying not to make a sound. Yet I could read no fear or pain in his expression.

With my teeth still in his arm, I couldn't turn my head at the sound of Luna's laughter. "You're forgetting that biting a mate brings more pleasure than pain." Her words still reached us, though, and by the way Tobias' cheeks turned red, they were true.

I finally let go of his arm, and he quickly used the opportunity to hide his face in my shoulder, knowing that everyone in the room could see his reaction to my bite.

The Alpha cleared his throat, drawing attention to himself. "He could be pretending."

"We'll see soon," Luna assured him, putting a hand on his shoulder. "Though I don't think there'll be much to see."

"In the meantime, we need to explain something else to you," Mason interjected.

His tone was serious, unlike his mother's light-hearted one, and that made Tobias straighten up again, preparing for more questioning.

"Tobias and Colby's bond was formed the day the hunters appeared on our border. Tobias is one of the hunters who set the trap," Mason began to explain. However, he did not go any further as Beta interrupted his speech. "So he's not just a hunter, but a hunter who attacked our pack."

But Mason was undeterred. "Only it wasn't an attack."

"It didn't look like a friendly visit," Alpha commented.

"It was an investigation," Mason clarified at once. "I've put everything you need to know in the folder on your desk." He nodded his head, and it was only now that I noticed that there was something like that on the table in front of them. Mason and the others had probably put in the files that Tobias had sent me back then.

Alpha automatically reached for the folder and opened it. I had no idea what had been put in there first, but he started reading immediately, and from the way his brow furrowed, I began to get an idea of what he had in front of him.

"Are you telling me that the Alpha of the Night Walker Pack has hired hunters to attack our pack?" The Alpha tossed the folder back on the table, and Beta Sanel automatically reached for it so he could read it as well.

"Yes," Mason replied simply.

"Do you have any other proof of this?" Alpha asked immediately.

"Not yet." Mason wasn't hiding anything, and from the look in Alpha's eyes, it was obvious that wasn't enough to make him believe us.

"There's something else," Tobias echoed, and it wasn't only Alpha who turned to him in surprise.

"Go on," the Alpha motioned to him.

"Almost two weeks ago we found an injured wolf in Tesall. He wasn't alone. His mate escaped unharmed, but the smaller wolf was poisoned. They are both staying with us at the clan house until he recovers," Tobias began to explain.

"Since when do hunters take care of injured wolves?" Beta Sanel's tone was ironic, and as much as it irritated me, I had to remind myself that he didn't really know how hunters worked like we did.

"I think Tobias should explain how hunters work first." Mason was obviously thinking the same thing as me.

"What do you mean, how hunters work?" Luna echoed her son's words.

"It seems that we've only had experience with hunters who break the rules. Hunters who honour the code are completely different than we thought," Mason explained. "Tobias can explain it to you all if you let him."