Chapter 6

For the next few years the rogues came in waves, we held them off but it was taking a toll on the whole pack now. It hadn't been a happy place for years but it was getting worse, no one was happy anymore. A lot of the time they took it out on me, I was randomly kicked, my food was missed sometimes and my water got dirty. They were all sad and frustrated but there was no reason to make me suffer even more than I already was.

I reconsidered my plans to run away, but deep down I knew it was a bad idea. We started to hear rumors about a young ruthless Alpha hunting the rogues, he lost both his parents in an attack on his pack and had to take over when he was eighteen. He was doing everyone a favor hunting the rogues but he was also absorbing some of the smaller packs into his. They didn't have the strength to fight him on it and in most cases he was doing them a favor. It made his pack the Dark Lake pack the biggest in the area in a couple of years. By the time I was eighteen Dark Lake had nearly stopped all the rogues and all the other packs started to fear he would come after them next. Alpha Liam was afraid and pushed the guards to train harder, that included me.

I was still running patrols four times a day, and training in the morning and afternoon with the guards. I was only being fed breakfast and dinner now and they were small portions. I don't know who thought that was a good idea but it was starting to take a toll, anytime I failed at anything I spent time in the cage. Some days I miss all of my meals, I am starting to lose my strength easily and can barely make it all the way on my patrols. Unfortunately no one has realized that they are causing my issues, if they just fed me a little more or gave me a break once in a while I would be fine.

Something happens one day, I think I am twenty now, it's been awhile since we were attacked by rogues and we haven't seen the young Alpha yet so the pack was starting to relax but today everyone is running around in a panic. The packhouse is being cleaned top to bottom, including my cushion. The kitchen is running non stop preparing food and Gamma Peter is too busy to make my life miserable. I am still running four patrols and training morning and afternoon but I'm not being punished. There is also plenty of food around, if something drops or is considered not good enough I get it.

I definitely feel like a pet now, but food is food I don't mind if it has been on the ground anymore. The craziness happens non stop for about a week everyone is stressed, I am actually enjoying the break. I just wish someone would talk about what is happening around me but they all seem too nervous to even mention it. Finally Alpha Liam calls a pack meeting and I find out what is going on. "Blue Howl Pack you have all worked very hard this week preparing for Alpha Scott's arrival, he will be here first thing in the morning and everything needs to be perfect. You all have your assignments, don't let the pack down."

Is that all, this stress has all been because some Alpha is visiting. Truly I can't remember the last time one came here but this all seems like a bit much. I am confused though, so as much as I don't want to, I find former Gamma Peter and sit at his side. Hopefully when he notices me he will tell me what I'm supposed to be doing. He looks down at me. "Good saves me looking for you, stay out of the way for the next week, keep patrolling, report to Sam, and don't go anywhere in the house other than the kitchen." He walks off with the old Alpha and Beta. I watch then go with my head tilted.