Chapter 33: Fear of the Future

Comenzar desde el principio

Despite the searing pain, Starr gritted her teeth and struggled to her feet, her arm throbbing with agony. She gingerly maneuvered her injured limb out of her shirt, relieved to find no puncture wound but greeted instead by a sprawling bruise. 'Thank the gods for Aura,' she silently acknowledged, her gratitude overshadowed by the lingering pain.

Sun's panic subsided slightly as he witnessed Starr's resilience, his relief tangible as he turned his focus to the assailants responsible for her injury. Whirling around, he confronted the three imposing bandits, his staff poised for defense.

"Look what we got here, guys! Little kittens running away!" taunted the first bandit, a sinister smirk twisting his lips.

Sun's grip on his staff tightened as he braced himself for the confrontation, his resolve unwavering. "Back off!" he warned, his voice tinged with defiance.

The second bandit chuckled mockingly, his voice dripping with contempt. "Check it out, this animal thinks he's a Huntsman!" he jeered.

Sun's fury ignited as the bandits belittled him, his determination fueling his actions. With lightning speed, he lunged at the first bandit, striking him squarely in the knee with a precise blow. The bandit's anguished cry echoed through the air as he crumpled to the ground, writhing in pain.

Witnessing their comrade's distress, the remaining two bandits charged toward Sun with renewed aggression. Reacting swiftly, Sun evaded the third bandit's advance, delivering a powerful kick to his back that sent him stumbling forward, off balance.

When the second bandit charged at him, Sun swiftly swung his staff with remarkable force, landing a powerful blow to the man's face. There was a sickening crunch as bone met wood, and the bandit crumpled to the ground, rendered unconscious by the impact. Without missing a beat, Sun pivoted to confront the first bandit, who was attempting to retrieve his rifle. With a swift motion, Sun deftly knocked the weapon aside and delivered a decisive blow to the bandit's head, rendering him unconscious as well.

"Easy peasy!" Sun exclaimed triumphantly, a cocky grin spreading across his face.

Starr watched her cousin's swift actions with a mix of pride and concern. Despite his bravado, she knew the dangers they faced were far from over. Before she could fully process their victory, her attention was drawn to the third bandit, who lunged at Sun from behind while his back was turned.

"BEHIND YOU!" Starr's warning pierced the chaos, her voice laced with urgency.

Sun reacted swiftly, pivoting just in time to face his assailant. However, despite his efforts to evade the attack, the bandit's blade found its mark, slicing across Sun's chest with a searing pain.

As Sun staggered back, clutching his wounded chest, his mind reeled with shock and fear. Blood stained his white shirt, a stark reminder of his vulnerability in the face of danger.

The bandit smirked triumphantly, revealing the weapon's deadly composition. "Bet you didn't count on me having something like a MoonSteel weapon, huh?" he taunted.

Starr's eyes widened with horror at the revelation, her mind racing with disbelief. 'How did a bandit acquire something like MoonSteel!?' she wondered, her thoughts consumed by the implications of their predicament.

Meanwhile, Sun's terror threatened to overwhelm him as he grappled with the gravity of his situation. Frozen in place, he felt an overwhelming sense of helplessness wash over him, his mind consumed by a relentless cascade of fear and despair.

'I don't want to die!' Sun's thoughts echoed frantically in his mind, his heart pounding with dread. 'I never got to see the world beyond Vacuo. I never became a Huntsman. I don't want it to end like this!'