Chapter Twenty-Two

Start from the beginning

I felt bad. Really, I did. But this wasn't something I could just dump on Dick, Jason shouldn't even know. He didn't even really know everything, all the ways I was affected, so affected by what has happened to me. And I knew that by being unable to be honest with Dick, I was lighting a match that could very well burn the unsteady bridge I'd begun building with this family. And I didn't want that, but it's not like I had a choice. I was trying to protect them.

When I didn't say anything, Dick kept speaking, sounding heartbreakingly fragile. "I'm worried, Nico. We all are. I get that it's hard to pour your life's story out to us, but believe it or not, we can help you. You know who we are, we can protect you if that's what you need, but please-" his voice broke slightly. "Please don't keep shutting us out." He left it at that, waiting for me to say something, anything, to affirm that I wanted to be here, that I wanted to be helped and cared about, and loved. And I do. And that's why I'm shutting them out. To keep them safe from everything in my world, from me.

I can't look at Dick when I finally speak. I don't want to see the hurt on his face when I practically slam this metaphorical door on him. "I need to make a call. I'll...be down for dinner."

-

"Show me Chiron at Camp Half-blood." I toss the coin into the misty rainbow, and a few seconds later, the image appears. Only, it's not Chiron.

"Will?" I say, thoroughly confused. He looks up from whatever he's doing- restocking first aid kits, it seems like- and gives me that grin of his, the one that's brighter than his father's chariot ever could be.

"Hey, Neeks! Why are you calling, are you okay? Your injuries healed up?"

"Yeah, what- why are you here? Where's Chiron?" His face falls a fraction, and I feel bad, realising he must've thought I was calling him. Which might not be so bad, every once in a while.

"Oh, he's at a meeting in Olympus. Most of the counsel is there, and Zeus gave strict orders that nobody bothers them."

"A meeting? What for?" I couldn't really remember the last time the counsel had had a meeting as serious as this one sounds. "Is it about my father? Have they finally realised he's missing?"

"Probably. Chiron wouldn't say, but it's a safe guess. So what's up? I can pass on a message for you when he gets back?"

"Yeah. I had a dream. Like, a dream dream, Will. And it scared the shit out of me." I told Will everything I could remember from my dream, and he sort of nodded along, brow furrowed in thought. He stayed that way for a few minutes after I had finished.

"Some of the other campers have been having dreams, too. Nothing as...adventurous as yours, mostly just flashes, they say. Everyone hears the screams, though. Some kid saw a bunch of snakes, another saw golden feathers. The Athena cabin hasn't slept in days, they're so invested in trying to decipher what everything means. The Hypnos cabin has been doing nothing but sleeping for days, but they haven't been able to see anything yet, which is weird." Will sighed, running a hand through his dishevelled blonde hair. "So, you're sure it was your father screaming?"

"Pretty sure, yeah. I'm...worried about him, Will. He always seems so powerful and unbreakable. But now, I don't know anymore. I mean, what can hurt a God that much, Will? What the hell is going on, and why does it feel like I'm at the centre of everything?"

Will's expression softened. "I'm so sorry, sweetie. If I could climb through this image and hug you, I would. But you're tough, Nico. You're powerful, too, okay? Don't forget that. And you're- well, you can be a little rash, but you're usually level-headed and calm. Whatever is going on, we can get through this together, okay? We always have. It's us demigods against the world, right? And we'll be okay. I promise." He grinned cheekily. "And, if you get hurt again, it's just an excuse for me to come see you!"

I blushed, turning away. My knee-jerk response was to close off, to react with barbs and be defensive, but maybe...maybe with Will, it was okay to be a little more open. He wouldn't judge me. "...You don't need a reason. You can come whenever you want." Spitting the words out was hard, and I felt suddenly too hot in the shower-steamy bathroom. The urge to take the words back was strong.

"Oh. Um, that's. Uh," Will's blushing stutter made me feel a little better, though. "But, hang on, I don't know where to find you, beyond Gotham city. That's a very big city, Nico."

It was my turn to be a cheeky brat. "If you really wanna come down here, you're gonna have to find out for yourself, Sunshine." I swiped my hand through the message, cutting off his reply before sliding to the bathroom floor and proceeding to die a flustered, embarrassed, death. 

(O.O) so much has happened! 

Who is our mystery villain? Will nico be able to fix things with dick before it spirals? Is he really protecting the Waynes by keeping so many secrets? Should Will have been more careful before revealing what city nico's hiding in? 

So many questions!